April 24, 2014, 02:39:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Had a hard time finding the proper rivets for a Coleman  (Read 4887 times)
IPcamper
Chocks-a-lot

« on: August 26, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »

Hello,

I thought I would post this for anyone alse who has had trouble finding the proper rivets for the ABS panel on a Coleman/Fleetwood trailer.

I recently caught a rock on the front of our trailer while driving back across country, and it left a number of cracks in the front ABS panel. After reading through the forums, I decided to repair it with the "Legos" dissolved in MEK method that many have referenced. The repair work well, but when it came time to put the panel back on, I had a hard time find the right type of rivet.  Coleman/Fleetwood uses a rivet that flares out like a Molly-bolt to hold the plastic to the aluminum. I have found them listed as expandible; "Bulbex"; and/or tri-fold rivets. Home Depot and Lowes do not carry these.

I ended up going to Beckley's in Thurmont, MD to find them. I have since found them online at McMaster-Carr site. Here is the link for anyone who wants to know. http://www.mcmaster.com/#97545a060/=3c8ams

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:31:08 AM by IPcamper » Logged

IPcamper
03 Ford Explorer
02 Coleman Cottonwood
Renopup
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:06 AM »

They sell them in Home Depot next to the plastic wall panels in the lumber section.

2003 Coleman Westlake
2007 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
IPcamper
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »

Our home depot didn't have them. They had some plastic types, but were the wrong size. The ones I found at McMaster's site are the same ones Coleman/Fleetwood used.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:25:21 AM by IPcamper » Logged

IPcamper
03 Ford Explorer
02 Coleman Cottonwood
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »

Strange, the panels on our camper are held by screws only. 5 on the bottom, 2 on each bed stop and another 6 along the top. I have getting a panel off down to about 20 minutes.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
dkutz
Parking Heckler

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »

my front panel has started to come off around two rivets.  I was gonna back the plastic up wiht washers and use normal poprivets.  Will this work, or do I really need to buy 50 of these for two rivets?

Dawnne and Dieter
DS '00
DS '02
DS '04
2 Dogs Eve, Lulu + 5 Cats.

2002 Coleman/Fleetwood Tacoma - A/C - 
2013 Toyota Sienna
Tukee44
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »

I got all my tools, rivet and screws from eBay.
austinado16
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 11:49:38 PM »

McMaster-Carr is great.  And if they don't have, "Applied Industrial Technologies" will.
Renopup
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »

They are $6 for 50 of them at Home Depot.  They are exactly the same as the ones used by Fleetwood.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100250436&navFlow=3&keyword=nylon%2Brivet&langId=-1&searchRedirect=nylon+rivet&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4055128845&ddkey=Search

2003 Coleman Westlake
2007 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
chipperone1
Back-er-in-er

The Hammer Ontario Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »

They sure don't look like the ones that the OP describes, do you have this style on your trailer?
lnorman
Parking Heckler

Ottawa, Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 06:05:03 AM »

Is yours really ABS?  I thought they were TPO.

PopUp Blue Van Grey 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley/2007 Toyota Sienna LE Toyota Reese Mini 350 WDH/ Airlift 1000's/ Prodigy Brake Control
lnorman'66  Canada Ontario, and family: DW '70[can] British Columbia, DD'02[can], DD '03  Canada,DS '06  Canada
Nights camped 2007 = 35
Sandbanks/Charleston Lake/Sandbanks/Killbear/Lake of Two Rivers/Bonnechere/Achray/ Canisbay
Nights camped 2008= 35
Sandbanks/Sandbanks/Riverside-Cedars/Killbear/Coon Lake/Bonnechere/ Achray/ Mew Lake
Nights camped 2009=24
Sandbanks/Sandbanks/Killbear/Burleigh Falls/Achray
Nights camped 2010=20
Sandbanks/Killbear/Burleigh Falls/
dkutz
Parking Heckler

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »

So I am now on my second fix for the trailer abs front and now back panel.  I used the plastic fastners and replaced the meal rivet.  But they are breaking off.  Now when I go to line them up the holes don't match.  Is there another issure going on?  why do these come out,?  loose? 

Dawnne and Dieter
DS '00
DS '02
DS '04

2013 Toyota Sienna
mike4947
PUXaholic

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

Well those plastic expansion types are NOT a substitute for the metal expansion rivets. They have only about a 1/10 of the holding power of the metal ones.
As for using  a back up washer with a regular pop rivet; it will work depending on if you can reach the back side of what you are riveting to.
As an FYI the expansion pop rivets are more commonly used to anchor items to the ceilings of PopUps.
In a roof/ceiling holding application they are rated for 15 pounds per pair of rivets. The are usually used in a pair to hold an eye strap which you can hook items to. Main reason for using the eye straps instead of hooks is to no have anything that will/can catch on the canvas when folded.

If you learn by your mistakes, I must be a genius
chipperone1
Back-er-in-er

The Hammer Ontario Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »

So I am now on my second fix for the trailer abs front and now back panel.  I used the plastic fastners and replaced the meal rivet.  But they are breaking off.  Now when I go to line them up the holes don't match.  Is there another issure going on?  why do these come out,?  loose? 

Why oh why would you use the plastic rivets in the first place?

Got pics? The holes should still line up if they ever did.
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »

Well those plastic expansion types are NOT a substitute for the metal expansion rivets. They have only about a 1/10 of the holding power of the metal ones.
As for using  a back up washer with a regular pop rivet; it will work depending on if you can reach the back side of what you are riveting to.

Dieter,

It is best to use a back-up washer when putting that panel back on. You can glue or putty the washer in place before putting the panel on. Line-up the holes and carefully insert the rivet. You can use a longer rivet because you can't see the back anyway. It's best to use a fender-washer on the back side. Use a 3/16 pop-rivet and a 3/16 fender-washer.  If you can't find a 3/16" fender washer, buy 1/8" and drill it to 3/16" (that's actually better anyway). If you use a 1/4" fender washer, you will need to us a 3/16" rivet washer behind it (glue them together). You may want to use a plastic washer on the front side to keep the rivet from cracking the plastic. Just use longer pop-rivets to go through the hole mess.

If the original holes in that panel are cracked, drill new holes.

The other thing that may work is a "U-clip" (fastener):

You just clip this over the hidden hole, put the panel on, line up the holes and use a sheet-metal screw (with a plastic washer).

Or this "U-clip" that uses a machine screw:

AHHHH Heck..... just take the thing back to the previous owner and have him do it.... Big Smile
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:35:24 PM by wavery » Logged

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
dkutz
Parking Heckler

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »

Thanks Wayne I will bring it by Monday after we get home.

I think at some point, maybe when I repaint the tongue, I will pull the whole panel off.  I am wondering if there is some structural issue with the box on the front end.  The panel doesn't line up with the holes, and there is a gap fro the top of the abs panel to the aluminum rail.  Maybe take it apart and back it up with a long metal strip to distribute the stress....

Dawnne and Dieter
DS '00
DS '02
DS '04

2013 Toyota Sienna
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: