July 30, 2014, 07:20:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixnall bike rack review  (Read 6559 times)
mikebel
Handle Cranker

Freedom is never free!

« on: August 07, 2009, 05:51:43 AM »

All,
I purchased a 3/3 AC split rack from Sixnall.  Just returned from a week of camping in Pensacola FL, about 350 miles from home - Atlanta.  Since there weren't any owners of these racks who responded when I inquired on this site before I bought mine, I thought I'd post my review for any who are considering this company's products.

In short, I am very pleased and happy w/ the purchase.

My requirements were that I need to transport 5 bikes safely.  No small feat as you know.   The Sixnall 3/3 AC split rack fit the bill.  Speaking of the bill, the rack was $525. w/ shipping; not cheap but worth every penny compared to the things I was trying to do before I got the rack. "Safely" being THE key word here.

Not only did the rack hold the 5 bikes, but also an Instaboat 11.5' folding boat and a Burley bike cart.  The boat required a minor mod of installing a set of the bike rails opposite the manufacturer's way to give the boat more room, but that was it, then I used 2 racket straps to hold the boat.

All the parts and instructions for assembly were fine as well as support from Jim at Sixnall.  Once assembled the rack worked like a dream.  And delivery was very quick.

I'd say the intergrity of the rack to support the bikes was put to the test as we drove home.  Going up Rt. 85 at about 70 mph, one of the camper tires blew out.  It was certainly a scary thing to happen but all went well and I got to the side of the road to change the tire.  The rack and bikes, boat and cart were fine and never budged.

If you are looking into racks I would recommend you consider Sixnall.  A great product produced by an American family/ company!

If anyone wants to contact me about the rack feel free to do so at mikebel@comcast.net.

Mike

Mike 48
Laura ??
Danielle  14
John 12
Michael 9
Maddy 3, yellow lab
1999 Coleman Bayside
Beacher
Parking Heckler

Sunny Southern California - USA

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »

Thank Mike!!   Pictures!!

I have been wrestling with how to carry four bikes, (beach cruisers without quick release hubs), now that my kids are learning how to ride.  By next summer I will need a solution.

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman - GTE Niagara  ... For $ale
2014 Thor - Hurricane 34E
mikebel
Handle Cranker

Freedom is never free!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »

I've unloaded form our trip but will reload bikes and take pictures and post soon.  I need to reload anyway to check a couple things.  Stay tuned.....

Mike 48
Laura ??
Danielle  14
John 12
Michael 9
Maddy 3, yellow lab
1999 Coleman Bayside
sully
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

their email contact isn't working - I have a 2003 Fleetwood Sant Fe with a Yakima roof rack (just 2 bars adjustable along the roof rails) and AC. I want to transport 4 bikes & not have to deal with too many straps - taking advantage of the rails already there.

Trying to find what would best work for me. Saw a tray type that would go on the roof, but cannot find it again (should've bookmarked)

2008 Explorer (V6 4.0)
2003 Coleman/Fleetwood Santa Fe
Missouri City (Houston), Texas
smibula
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »

I bought a Sixnall 4-bike rack about 2 months ago for our 2004 Coleman Yuma and we've used it on one trip with 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes.  The rack came much quicker than expected and the setup instructions were good.  It's a bit difficult to load the 2 center bikes - I had to get up on top of the camper to load and strap them in.  Although the instructions say that the bikes are secure with the straps provided I added bungee cords to hold the bikes to the rack and 4 ratchet straps to secure the frame to the pop up (2 in front and 2 in back).  I had no bending on the pop up sides due to the main straps, but I was careful not to ratchet them too tightly.  I was a bit nervous about the bikes wobbling, but we had no problems.  After we drove about 10 miles we double checked the straps and tightened the 2 extra front straps a bit. 

Next time we're going to try loading the 2 center bikes first and then lifting the rack onto the top of the camper.  We can then easily load the 2 outside bikes without getting on top of the pop up.  I'm also going to double check all the bolts before we head out again to make sure they're still tight.

Overall it's a great rack and nice to not have holes in our roof.  Unlike our hitch rack which we use without the camper it also holds bikes of all sizes!
depotter1@att.net
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »

Hi there, are you still happy with this bike rack?  We are debating between this one and the one that hooks to the hitch so that just the tires sit on top of the camper.  Thanks!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: