November 23, 2014, 02:03:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1992 Coleman Roof Repair  (Read 1762 times)
Leviathon
Wheel Chocker

« on: August 06, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »

My N2U 1992 Coleman Sequoia's roof was extremely dirty.  Using some car wash type cleaner, I got it all cleaned off and now that I'm looking at it, it needs some work.

Couple of questions:  It appears that I need to re-caulk the seams on the roof, what is the recommended calc for this?  The current calc is cracking in just 2 spots, but is extremely yellow, looks terrible on the white roof.  Also, how/what do I use to remove the old caulk?

Second, there are 2-3 spots where the white paint has either been worn off, or was scratched off.  Can I just get a can of spray paint and lightly touch it up?

Last, there are 2 spots where there was a 'dent' (small, think size of a dime) that had allowed water to pool over the years and there is a bit of rust in those spots .. how should I cleanup and seal that to prevent it from rusting further?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:19:32 PM by Leviathon » Logged
Erik2002winnie
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »

im gonna bump this because this basically asks the same questions i was digging for.
radgt
Handle Cranker

Our Condo On Wheels

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »

I rebuilt my coleman roof two years ago and used Tremco Vulcan 116 which is a great polyurethane caulk for RV's. You will need to remove all the old first which can be quite a chore. Once the new caulk had cured (3-4 days) I then covered the entire roof with two coats of Sherwin Williams (I'm sure there are other manufacturers that would work just as well) high quality oil based primer, once dry I then used SW high grade exterior white satin latex as a final finish (3 coats). I applied the primer and paint with a roller. The primer covered the caulk really well so the entire roof had the same color when finished. After 12 camping trips it still looks brand new without one blemish. The caulk has not split and the paint still looks as white as snow. Of course I keep it parked in my basement when not in use  Grin I ended up stripping all the old decals and painting the entire camper. Here's a link for the Vulcan manufacturer: www.tremcosealants.com/commercial/products/product_detail.asp?id=1
Maybe you can find a dealer near you on there site.
Greg  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:10:50 AM by radgt » Logged
Erik2002winnie
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

Thanks greg.
The roller worked ok?

I was wondering about that since i dont have a spray gun, and dont want to spend 150 to repaint a 900 dollar popup

I habve a few dents and whatnot in the alum on top. i know i could bondo them, but i dont know how to replicate the rough finish.

radgt
Handle Cranker

Our Condo On Wheels

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »

The roller will work just fine. It even adds a little texture but basically dries showing the aluminum textured finish from underneath. I wouldn't worry too much about the small dents. Holes maybe but not dents. You will be surprised at how well the latex paint will seal everything, even small pin holes. Because I had to remove some of the paneling and foam I was able to push out some on the dents from the inside before reinstalling the new material.
 Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: