November 25, 2014, 02:49:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2003 Coleman Cheyenne - leaking from roof rails - need help in fixing  (Read 6149 times)
sschroed
Wheel Chocker

« on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:38 AM »

Hello,
My '03 Cheyenne has sprung a leak from the roof rails.  I have the type that are screwed on.  I removed the screws and removed the rails.  Then tried to remove the remaining sealant under them.  What a job to remove that stuff and I'm still not done.  I called my Coleman dealer and they recommend to fill all the screw holes on the roof with sealant and flip the rail around so the screws won't fall into the old holes.  They then said to cover the screws with sealant once I reattach the rail.  The questions I have are:

1. how do I safely remove the remaining sealant on the roof?  I don't want to damage the roof
2. what is the recommened sealant to use.  I've bought Sikaflex but thought I would ask

BTW - I don't have the ABS roof, it's the one that they came out with starting in 2003 1/2.  Forget the name.

TIA

2008 Honda Ody
2003 Coleman Cheyenne
sschroed
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »

Well,
I found a solution to my problem.  I used DAP Silicon remover.  Didn't remove any of the white paint and did a great job removing the factory sealant under the rails.  I'm going to use Sikaflex 291 as the new sealant.

2008 Honda Ody
2003 Coleman Cheyenne
DaveF
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:05 AM »

Thanks for the input on what you used.  I have a 2005 Utah and it's not leaking yet.  I learned a long time ago not to fix something that's not broken yet but in this case when it fails it's too late.  How hard was it to take the roof rails off?  I figure that will be the hard part.

2006 Explorer
2005 Fleetwood Utah CP
sschroed
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »

Not hard at all to remove the rails.  Removed the screws and gently pried it loose.  Carefull the endcaps don't break but I managed to remove it all in one piece.  I don't think I'm going to flip it around and drill new holes for the screws (there're self tapping actually).  Don't like the idea of having all those old holes and the possible leaking.  I haven't put the rails back on yet, still need to remove the little bit of sealant left the rails themselves.  The key is the DAP silicone remover, the stuff is fantastic.  I bought some black Sikaflex 291 to seal the screwheads.

2008 Honda Ody
2003 Coleman Cheyenne
DaveF
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »

Is there a seam under the rails or is it just the screwholes that leaked.  Easy to back out my screws and reseal.
Thanks

2006 Explorer
2005 Fleetwood Utah CP
sschroed
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:12:13 AM »

There is a seam under the rails.  I think the leak came from the seam and possibly screw holes although it's sometimes very hard to tell with the path water can take.  I figured better be safe and redo the entire thing.  My trailer is stored in the garage so there's no panic in getting this done.

2008 Honda Ody
2003 Coleman Cheyenne
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: