August 21, 2014, 06:02:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1997 Coleman Pop Up Seal replacement, budget - Update  (Read 37556 times)
Blk69
Handle Cranker

« on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »

Hello.  I am new to this forum and pop up camping.  This is my first pop up a 1997 Coleman Key West.  The roof is in excellent shape except the weather stripping around the edge is missing.  I called a local dealer and they quoted me a price around $500 for the weather striping.  I have read in this forum others getting pricing around $300 for the seal.  This still seams a lot for weather striping.  Has anyone had any luck finding a useable after market alternative.  I am sure I am not alone with this problem.  Just wondering who others are doing.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:07:10 AM by Blk69 » Logged
ballard
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »

I have a coleman 1993 rio grande. I just looked at the weathstrip and mine seems like a glued on weatherstripping. Other brands, however, sometimes use a rubber gasket that slips into a groove around the edge. You need to see what the original looked like. For my '93 rio grande, I think any generic auto door and trunk weathstripping will work. I've noticed many available. Onesite was perfectfit.com. There were many others. I searched both weatherstripping and popup roof gasket.
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »

No, no-one has found an aftermarket supply for the gasket. Auto/truck weatherstripping will not work as they are designed to slip over a thickness or two of sheet metal. The ABS roof is @1/2in thick. Pretty much you are stuck with buying it at the dealer. I would try a different dealer, as when I replaced mine about 2 1/2 yrs ago my dealer wanted about $7 a foot. A 12 ft roofs needs about 42 ft. And the newest gasket should be peel and stick and not need epoxy to adhere the gasket to the roof.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
ballard
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »

Here is a link to a thread regarding the matter http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=3646.0

And this is a link to a manufacturer of hatch gaskets referenced in that thread as being the supplier for a coleman mesa seal of a similar vintage (different model I realize), however, the material is sold at about $350 per 250 foot roll with no smaller lengths available. http://www.trimlok.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=27.

Hope that helps a little.
Blk69
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:42:14 AM »

What we need is the orginal manufacture to see if it is still available?  I found a product at Trimlok which may work.  It comes in 250' rolls is I need to find a supplier that sell in 50' lenghts.  Anyone know Colmans orginal manufacture in 1997 for the seals?
ballard
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »

Ok, If I'm wrong fine but before I let coleman sell me a $350 peice of weatherstripping I am definitely trying something different. I have looked at my 1993 coleman destiny and observed that the gasket is slid into an 1/8 inch wide slot (channel) to hold it in place and also stuck to the side underneath the channel with adhesive. This channel is not a "gutter" as you would see in cars, it is simply there to help hold the gasket in place. That said, while I see the channel as helpful it is hardly necessary and assuming you have any old weather strip/ gasket/weather seal which is big enough, shaped well, and held in place well enough to produce a good seal, I would think it would work.

This is what I'm looking at http://www.dkhardware.com/product-2300-av4703-rear-deck-lid-weatherstrips-gm-cars.html      (or something like it.)

I don't subscribe to the idea that only one gasket will work in my case. Not from what I've observed on my trailer at least.

Another point regarding the roof gaskets. Coleman has been known to change gasket design in response to after production problems, so it's not as though the roof seal area is a one size only gasket. There seems to be some room for adjustment and change......Coleman had a case when their abs roofs were failing and warping that they introduced a different gasket to correct the problem. This tells me that more than one item can do the trick.

With that said, there is no doubt that the factory gasket works best, however, a thrifty person can often save a lot of money if something cheaper works just as well.
Blk69
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »

I think I can get something to work in the $100 range.  I will let know know what I come up with.
Tukee44
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#perimeter-seals/=2qhh4b

Try this site. Good lucj,
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:58:53 AM »

I think 1/2 foam would probably work fine on my 1996. I still have the weather stripping, but it hardly seals anywhere (due to roof sag). I've towed in rain and it doesn't get in. I think the front is the only part that's really important. The sides, even if water gets in it's not going to get anywhere.

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
Tukee44
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »

Without the seal, can the latch stay closed?
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 03:45:38 AM »

The latches will stay down if there's tension on them. I'm using the same latches on my plywood trunk box with no seal and they work.

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
hoppy
Back-er-in-er

Peachtree City, GA

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 07:29:24 AM »

Although the seal is still in good shape on my PU, I have read in the past on the PU forum sites, the cheapest price to replace the seal on a 12 ft. box was around $350.00.

Keep your kinlin' dry

Hoppy  Big Smile 
Hoppette  Blush
2001 Silverado TV   Pickup Grey
2001 Coleman Mesa   PopUp Cyan
borderrunner
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »

I have the famous Coleman seal in unlimited quantities. I needed one and found a supplier in Europe and have stock sent to me regularly.  The one I have is is a one piece extrusion so it does not come apart. I have sold 132 in the past year by word of mouth and now I have it on Ebay. I sell it in 42 foot lengths for $220.00 USD shipping included. I now this is still expensive but it is half the cost of the Coleman part. Rubber is heavy and transport from Germany is expensive.

pups: 1996 key west, 2001 aerocoach by Thor
TV:93 chevy conversion van, 1981 Mercedes 300TDT wagon,1995 Mercedes E320 wagon
Favorite camp state: New Hampshire
Tukee44
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLEMAN-ABS-TOP-SEAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2c50af5cc7QQitemZ190332230855QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

Saw it. I would buy it 2 yrs ago after all other glues failed but finally I learned the trick with Gorilla glue, and it seems to do the trick for me so far.
Blk69
Handle Cranker

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRIM-LOK-1-4-TRIM-SEAL-BLK-W-1-BULB-LOC-C_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef17e8b1bQQitemZ270339574555QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the option I chose.  The grip to the roof is smaller then the orginal (I think, never had the orginal just old adheavise lines).  I sealed the roof up the best I could (under the sides were started to delaminate) with gorilla glue and then added the weather seal.  The  glue expanded slightly and was difficult to get seal on.  Also the roof starts to "V" where the strip gets installed and this caused the grip to have a small gap (1/32 ") on the side.  I am planning on clalking this small gap to keep water out (some silicon product). 

I had a very large gap (about an 1") on the front of my camper due to the bow.  This 1" bulb on the seal has convered it up.  I am in the process of trying to remove some of the bow with braceing (see other post). 

One more thing I ordered 41' of seal and have about 5' extra.  The supplier was generious on his quanity and very promt service (free shipping). 

My only word of causion is it was very difficult to force that seal on the roof.  This was partly due to the swealing if the gorilla glue and even present were not glue was added.  This project may more then you want to tackle if you have limited upper arm strenth.

One more thing, the delamination I experenced I feel was due to water wicking up due to lack of the seal.  For those without this seal, if not planning on replacing, I suggest sealing the roof edge somehow to keep the water out.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: