April 23, 2014, 07:13:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1996 Camplite 2218SL PopUp - Winch Broke - Need Replacement  (Read 3925 times)
fulcrum
Wheel Chocker

« on: June 28, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but after reading through several pages of feedback from the members, it looks like this is a good place to be!

I bought a used 1996 Pop-Up Camplite 2218SL 5 yrs ago, and I haven't had any problems with it, until this past weekend, when I took my family camping to Warren Dunes State Park (in Michigan), where two things went wrong at the same time. (a) The Shelby tongue jack stopped working, and (b) the Dutton-Lainson (aka DL) 1200 winch broke.

(A) Luckily I always bring a small hydraulic jack with me whenever I go on a camping trip so I was able to get the tongue off the van's hitch even though the tongue jack would not go up or down (However, after I took the weight off of it, the extension shaft inside started to fall out; very odd). This original tongue jack is made by Shelby Industries Inc, and is rated for 1200 lbs. I never lubed it, nor do I think the previous owner did either. I'm not sure if I should try to repair it or just simply buy a new one. What do you think?

(B) After leveling the camper, I began turning the winch to raise the roof. However, to my surprise it turned 2 full revolutions easily and then I hit a hard spot, so I muscled through it. (Oh how I wish I had not done that!). Then I was able to turn the winch another 4 full revoulutions, and then I hit the hard point again, and then 4 more easy revs, and another hard spot so I stopped, and then I pulled the protective cover off to inspected the winch.

What I found was that the steel cable, had somehow looped over the large gear, and was being crushed between it and the smaller gear, every 4 revolutions. And the teeth on the smaller of the two gears were actually being bent in the process when they rolled over the steel cable. Also, the steel cable, at this point, was in full tention as the roof was 1 foot up from the raising process. So I tried to go in reverse, to lower the roof, but the handle mechanism started to unscrew, as the smaller gear would not go back over the steel cable in the reverse direction. The only thing I could think to do was to unbolt the winch from the frame and then pull apart the gears. This was real scarry as the cable was in full tention, and I knew that when the last of 3 bolts came out, the winch was going to move real fast, And BAM it did!

I then pulled apart the gearing, un-looped the steel cable, and then rebuilt the winch and then I bolted it back onto the tongue. The steel cable doesn't look too bad, however the winch teeth were now severely damaged. I was able to get the roof up, and when I left the camp site, I was able to get the roof back down, but I had use pliers on the shaft of the smaller gear to help it spin, otherwise the handle mechanism would begin to unscrew. After I arrived home, I tried to set the camper back up, but the teeth on the smaller gear began breaking one by one. So the camper sits in my driveway unopened.

So I've been searching the web for a replacement winch, and I've found several winches, including those at the DL website, but none seem to have the correct styled handle (http://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=14932). The crank lever handle has a square tube, that is extended somewhat to keep the handle from interfering with tongue A-frame when rotated 360 degrees. All but one of the winches I found do not have the square tube handle, nor are they extended. The one winch I did find that had a square tube was at http://www.popupparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_9&products_id=43
but the price is $82.50 plus shipping. So my question are...
Is there a cheaper option?
Is there another known cheaper place to buy this winch from?
Or can I buy service parts for the DL 1200A and use them on the discontinued DBL1200?
Or is there another wench out there that members of this forum prefer

Let me know what you think... I'm all ears!

Fulcrum

Fulcrum
www.lumenlab.com (Build your own HD Video Projecter. I did!).
www.modifiedpowerwheels (Wow! See how fast a powerwheels goes with 24 volts).
fulcrum
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:19:48 PM »

Searching the Web, I did find the D-L 1200# winch for less at Northern Tool and Equipment: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331205_200331205, for only $55. However it doesn't have the square end connector.

Looking at my broken winch it appears the square connector can be removed, and then simply placed onto a new winch. If this is true, then it would be possible to get the winch for less than the $80 dollars. I will have to call D-L tomorrow to insure I can do this.

If anyone has any other good ideas, let me know,

Cheers!

Fulcrum

Fulcrum
Pop Pop
Camp Host
Back-er-in-er

Vancouver (not BC), WA (not DC)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »

Sorry, I have no advice for you but the way you throw those technical words like 'winch', 'gear', 'teeth' around makes me realize you are much more mechanically adept than am I.  Smiley  Good luck on repairing your pup and welcome to PUX.
Rick

USA             September 11
Rick 19XX (long, long time ago)
Karen (child bride)
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4
2005 Fleetwood Niagara
 PopUp Grey Pickup Yellow
Proud members of Clan Young
Robore Prudentia Praestat
"We Ride!"
Eight kids (so far) and Fifteen grandkids (so far)

fulcrum
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »

Thanks Pop Pop, but I didn't know much about winches until mine broke, now that I know more I can't wait to get it fixed and forget everything!  Smiley

Fulcrum
fulcrum
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »

I read through some more posts and someone mentioned buying a 1000 lb jack from Harbor Freight Tools. I checked, and there was one near where I work, so I stopped in and bought one for $22 + tax. That was better than $50 + Shipping. The only mod I needed to perform was changing the length of the bolts from 6 inches to 2.5 inches. Works Great!

Cheers!

Fulcrum

Fulcrum
fulcrum
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »

Well since the Trailer jack works so well, my trust in equipment at Habor Freight Tools has increased, so I decided to check out the winches there too. I did find one rated for 1200 lbs, for $30, which I bought and mounted on to the camper's frame. With it, I was able to raise the camper roof easily.

My oringal winch had a square tube reciever, whereas the Habor Freight winch had a 7/8" hex nut to attach the crank lever too. However since it installed at the center of the camper's hit / frame, I had to drive the 7/8 nut with a socket and a few extensions to get the crank lever out 12 inches. But it worked great.

My total cost to fix my camper was just under $60. I believe if had I bought everything from the original manufactures, it would have cost me $180 to $200 with shipping. Therefore I'm very pleased with the saving I found. If however, the winch or jack break in the next few years, I'm not alarmed, as I could buy these same items 3 times over.

As stated in the Automotive Business here in Michigan... Cash is King!

Cheers!

Fulcrum
brgmgb
Back-er-in-er

NE Indiana

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »

Glad to here you got everything back in working order.  We have a similar aged Camplite.  I'll have to keep in mind what you did incase we have a similar experience.

Thanks,

Indiana Bill & Marie
 PopUp Blue SUV White 
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Diesel
2011 Jayco 1207 

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport | 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2010 Jayco 1206 (sold April 2011) | 1997 Camplite 2208 SL (sold July 2010) | 1986 Jayco 1008 SG Deluxe (sold May 2008)
brgmgb
Back-er-in-er

NE Indiana

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »

I was on the Harbor Freight site looking at trailers (need to haul a few canoes) and decided to look at jacks and winches.

I found this 2000 lb. jack, but the only 1200 lb winches I found used straps/belts, not cables.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65108
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65115

Did you get one with a belt?

Thanks,

Indiana Bill & Marie
 PopUp Blue SUV White 
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Diesel
2011 Jayco 1207 

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport | 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2010 Jayco 1206 (sold April 2011) | 1997 Camplite 2208 SL (sold July 2010) | 1986 Jayco 1008 SG Deluxe (sold May 2008)
fulcrum
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »

Sorry, but it has been almost a year from my last post, so I will bring you up to date as to what happened.

Firstly, The original winch a Goshen had a square wrench and connector, whereas the Harbor Freight Winch had a hex nut. The crank lever arm on the Goshen winch was 9 inches long and cleared the A-Frame trailer hitch when rotated. The Harbor Freight lever arm was only 1 inch long,  causing the crank lever to interfere with the A-frame. So I tried to switch out parts from the Goshen and Harbor Freight (HF) winches to try to get the square wrench and connector onto the HF model.  Although the winches were nearly identeical, the parts just didn't work well with each other.

So instead I installed the HF winch by itself.  Instead of using the crank lever arm that came with the winch, I used a socket and rachet to turn the hex nut on the winch. Yes this did work, but took me a good 4 mins to raise the camper roof, and made me break a good sweat.

So after 3 camping trips, I had enough, and I bought another Goshen Winch. I purchased it directly from the company itself. I bought a DBL1200 winch for $43, which is much lower (1/2 price) than any other online price I could find. When ordering , they told me that that they have 2 different crank lever arms. One that is 9 inches and one that is 12 inches for $10.  I bought the 12 inch lever arm, and I'm glad I did, I get even more clearance to the A-Frame than ever. There is an additional frieght charge of $10 too.

http://www.goshenstamping.com/

Goshen Stamping Co. Inc.
1025 South 10th St.
Goshen, IN 46526-4401
Phone: (574) 533-4108
Fax: (574) 534-4189

Cheers!

Fulcrum

Fulcrum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: