November 23, 2014, 08:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleetwood / Coleman - Power Lift Control Connection  (Read 9743 times)
CanLander
Handle Cranker

« on: May 26, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »

Hi,

Am hoping someone on PUX can help me out.  I have an '07 Fleetwood Niagara that I love, save for one aspect.  The power lift system.  Specifically, the lift control switch and it's connection to the trailer.  The 'remote' has a coiled cord with a male connector that plugs into a female receptacle on the trailer.  The male connector 'prongs' are very delicate -- not ideal for survival in a field setting.  To make things worse, the female receptacle has fine brass sleeves that I have seen slip out!  My concern with this design is that I am going to get stuck on a camping trip with the roof up / down.  Yes, I could manually crank it ... but (and there's always a but) I overcranked it and snapped the collar.  The shaft and smaller inner spline/pin is still there, but the crankhandle won't work on it.

My plan is to get the collar repaired / replaced (worst case the entire motor) so that I can at least crank it.  Having a manual back-up is essential in my opinion.

As for the lift control.  Does anyone know if they have fixed the horrible design?  I don't want to throw good money after bad!  I understand the trailer was subject to the recall, and according to Fleetwood the work has been done.  By my eye, it hasn't.  But I'd like to believe people and dealers are honest when addressing safety matters.  Frankly, it may be cheaper (easier) to upgrade to a HTT or TT! Can't say I am impressed with Fleetwood's customer service at this point.  Ugghhhh.

I will try and post some pics later.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Canada  PopUp Purple  SUV Black  Canada
 Toyota '08 Highlander Limited - Prodigy, Garmin 250W
       '07 Fleetwood Niagara

Jefiner
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »

We had the same problem with the connector on our power lift.  The guy at the local RV shop installed a four pin connector into the side of the license plate holder and modified the power cord--much easier to access and use!

2007 Fleetwood E2 with way many mods
Me, DH, and Adventuredogs Jeep and Turbo
Days camped 2007: 59
Days camped 2008: 44
Days camped 2009: 14
Michigan + Louisiana = Arizona

September 11   Never forget!
CanLander
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:29:36 AM »

Thanks Jefiner!

I was thinking of a similar mod.  While I consider myself pretty handy, electic stuff isn't my forte.  I'll see if I can get someone to rig me up something similar.

PUX people are so helpful.  Love this site.

CanLander
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »

Good news!  Did the mod myself using a flat 4 connection.  What an improvement!

While my work isn't perfect, I'm pretty pleased.  The controller was easy to wire up.  The trailer end was a bit more difficult, the only challenge being the very short and very thin wires (22ga or worse) inside the current limiter box.  If it weren't for that, it would have been a super simple job.  If my work doesn't hold, I'll simply disconnect it all and get someone that is an expert at soldering do it again.

Thanks again for the info.

ChetUbetcha
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:44:15 AM »

Sorry to read other people are having the same problem I am, but it's nice to find out people actually have a solution!  I have an 08 Niagara and the dealer told me (regardless of the warning stickers and online information) that I should have it plugged in at home or the campsite to open and close the top or I would kill my battery.  After 20 or so times of opening and closing on camping trips and simply opening and closing at home, the lift motor finally went kaput.

We had just packed the camper for the weekend and it had opened fine.  But when I went to close it, pressing the down button made no noise at all.  Pressing the up button made one small click noise inside the current limiter box.  We had no other option but to manually close the top since we were already running late.  I had no points of contact or Internet information for opening or closing the camper manually, so please don't yell at me when I say I did not disconnect any wiring from the motor when I went to lift it manually at the campsite.  There was no power to the camper though.  Anyway, I tried lifting it with the crank and sheared off the small cover with the pin that was on the end of the motor post.  I ended up having to use vice grips and a lot of effort.

Our current limiter is pop riveted to the frame.  Did you simply drill those out and open it up?  I have not seen issues with the pins or wiring, but am wondering if the connection could be the simple solution to my big problem.  Do any of you have pictures of what you did?

Also, what about having the camper hooked up to the tow vehicle with that running while you opened/closed the camper.  Does that help save the battery?  I know it recharges, but thought that might take some of the load off of it.

Thanks in advance!

Me, the Missus, the Boys (10 & 8), the Princesses (5 & 3), Reagan (aka Bear (100lb+ Black Lab) and Mika the Yorkie
08 Fleetwood Niagara
AZemptynesters
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

ChetUbetcha,

We always leave our Niagara plugged into the running TV while we raise the roof.  It makes it much easier.

I have an 08 Niagara and the dealer told me (regardless of the warning stickers and online information) that I should have it plugged in at home or the campsite to open and close the top or I would kill my battery

I wouldn't do it!  You might kill the battery, but you'll most likely break a cable.  That was the reason for the recall.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:42:39 PM by AZemptynesters » Logged

1986 Coleman Williamsburg  PopUp Blue Given to our son and his family
2009 Fleetwood Niagara  PopUp Grey
1997 Toyota 4 Runner  SUV RedToyota
ChetUbetcha
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »

Too late...

I already broke a cable when a certain family member didn't unlock one corner and BOOM!   Angry  That was a fun one to replace.  I'd still like to ifnd out if a new connector might remedy my situation though.

Me, the Missus, the Boys (10 & 8), the Princesses (5 & 3), Reagan (aka Bear (100lb+ Black Lab) and Mika the Yorkie
08 Fleetwood Niagara
rrue
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:23:39 PM »

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone will get an email when it updates or will just happen to spot it.

Just bought a '99 Coleman Utah with a power lift that the PO never used, he just used the crank. Doesn't appear to be a remote for it. No manual for the power lift.

Can anyone tell me how the thing is supposed to work? Any source for a matching remote? Are there any smarts inside the remote or is it just a switch in a box? LIkely places to find a big blown fuse? Sources for a new motor, or tips on repairing/rebuilding one?

A manual? A service manual? Anyone?
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »

the lift is made by Barker, but I doubt you can get the remote anywhere but a Fleetwood/Coleman dealer. the Remote is just 2 switches on three wires, one common and one each switch.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
rrue
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »

Makes sense, the connector only has three wires. I'm more inclined to replace it and make a new remote. One up, one down? If so, why don't they just use a SPDT?
bbigjohn
Wheel Chocker

Alan and i at Yosemite National Park

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »

I know this is old but I need a little help. My 2008 highlander Niagara won't lift the roof.  My hand crank adapter on the motor broke a few months back when I tried hand cranking   so when I push the raise remote bottom all it does is click.  I tried hoking to truck and the genorator and nothing.  I heard a big clunk when I first tried it today.so is the motor shot or a gear broke in the motor hosing?  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bbigjohn. 

John, Kathy, Alan (9), Kyle (21)
2005 chevy 1500 crew cab
2009 Coleman Niagara
rrue
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:31 PM »

I found out a lot about the system since I posted on this. In the '99 system, there was a gear in the motor that was made out of plastic/fiber composite and some PO must have just removed it from the case when it shredded. Bought a metal replacement for it directly from Barker.

I also bought a new controller (the old one was toast) and wired remote. Cost a few hundred but after talking to a guy there I found out the controller includes a current sensor that stops the lift at the top and bottom. So much for my plan to build my own controller out of relays, glad I didn't find out the hard way and snap some cables.

I was able to find Barker online (http://www.barkermfg.com)and call them direct (don't know if they built your 2008). They don't do online ordering or anything but they didn't hesitate to help me or to sell me parts.

Don't know how much this applies to your 2008. If nothing else be aware that if you have the skills you should be able to find the manufacturer directly and not necessarily need to pay dealer premiums on the parts
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 04:20:54 AM »

you can make your own remote, here's how I added a permanent up/down switch to our Niagara

http://rvitch.com/forum/index.php?topic=90584.0

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
bbigjohn
Wheel Chocker

Alan and i at Yosemite National Park

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »

Thanks for the replays.  They will help me when I get home to fix the darn thing .

John, Kathy, Alan (9), Kyle (21)
2005 chevy 1500 crew cab
2009 Coleman Niagara
TrailManorMan
Chocks-a-lot

Northeast OHIO

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »

Barker sells them direct

Ron  goes by (Skip) and Linda
2012 Traverse   TrailManor 2720
Camping for forty three years plus
Last year 38 nights  2013