August 21, 2014, 05:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1995 Coleman Sequoia, about to purchase, list of questions.  (Read 6963 times)
kmahler
Handle Cranker

« on: May 15, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »

I think I have found a pretty good deal.  I found a 1995 Coleman Sequoia on CL, listed for $1200.  But, the guy wants some photography strobes which I just happen to have a set I no longer use.  I have two sets.  I think with the strobes as part of the deal I could get this for around $600, maybe less. 

The camper is in really good shape.  There are a couple of holes in one of the screens but pretty small and easily covered or fixed.  There is a small hole in the hard roof from a limb that fell on it while stored.  It has been patched well and there are no signs of moisture inside.  The plastic housing around the AC is also broken.  I suspect that is an inexpensive part.  Options included are: A/C, Electric Lift, Outside Stove, Outside Shower, electric breaks, and water heater.

Now I hope I don't offend anyone here since this is a popup forum but, this will be my camper until I can afford a 28ft travel trailer.  Probably less than a year.  But, I feel like I could recoup my money pretty easily on this one.  Please speak up if you think I'm nuts.

The one thing it doesn't have that I really think I want is a refrigerator.  There is an icebox but it's pretty small and doesn't cool.  Basically, a cooler that stands up like a refrigerator.  Are there refrigerators that can be retrofitted easily?

Beyond cleaning it up, changing out the water in the tank, topping off the propane and packing my stuff in it, is there anything else I should do before a Memorial Day camping trip?

When I return I plan on pulling off the wheels and repacking the bearings.

The one challenge I see with this is I want to carry my smoker with me on camping trips to smoke BBQ and ribs.  I'm not sure there is room in the camper for it while traveling.  I do have a nice Yakama roof storage box for my TV but it doesn't all fit in there either.  I have attached it to the roof rack before and can resort to that.

Any advice on the camper, known issues, other advice is welcome.

Cheers,

Kevin

After reading some other newbie posts.  I should add, the TV can tow up to 7500 lbs and I have a P3 Brake Controller.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:03:44 AM by kmahler » Logged

1994 Coleman Sequoia, 2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71, Keyser Soze (95lbs German Shepherd) Camping Companion
chiefd
Parking Heckler

Abingdon MD

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:17:36 AM »

For that price I would take it.  I do not understand though why this one for about a year and then move on.  Why not just buy the TT now?

Paul (DH) 55
Laurie (DW) 58
2008 Pathfinder
2013 4 Runner
2006 Rockwood 2514G  PopUp Grey

"I only drink beer on days that end in Y"

Our Camping Pics and Mods

Nights Camped 07 - 25
Nights Camped 08 - 28
Nights camped 09 - 35
Nights camped 10 - 29
Nights camped 11 - 20
Nights camped 12 - 23
Nights camped 13 - 23
Nights camped 14 - 12 scheduled 8 remaining
Magdad
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 03:53:10 AM »

I've had the same model (older though) for years and it's been great. You will get your money back. I would check the wheel bearings before going out though if it were me.

Hotel Royale
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:57:59 PM »

We love our '93 Sequoia ... yours has some features ours does not -> electric lift and water heater being the main ones. The price looks pretty good ... we paid $2200 for ours in 2005 and thought we got a good deal [it was/is in great condition]. I think it's likely you would get your money back out of it when/if you decide to change to a different camper later.

Ditto others opinions on the wheel bearings ... I personally clean and lube them at the start of each season, it's one of the Rites of Spring in our driveway and gives me peace of mind when I'm haulin' fast on the interstate.

Good luck and Happy Campin'!!

1993 Coleman Sequoia
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
skipro
Back-er-in-er

Sevierville, TN

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:25:20 AM »

Our first PUP, an '88 Chesapeak, was pretty basic.  I bought a small "dorm" refrigerator and used it.  No problems

2013 Trail Lite 200S
2002 Coleman Bayside - Loved the room, hated the roof.
2013 Ford Expedition
1988 Coleman Chesapeak gave us 14 good years
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:16:49 AM »

That sounds like a good price. I paid $3000 for a 96 Niagara about 4 or 5 years ago.

The biggest potential problem you face is the roof. If you search this forum for "ABS Roof" you'll find lots of information and plenty of opinions. The fact that there's a hole somewhat bothers me. I think getting water between the layers can accelerate problems. The middle (foam) layer is closed cell, so it won't leak if the outer skin is pierced, but water can get in there and I think that can cause the outer layer to come off the foam.

But if it looks good today, it will probably look good in a year when you're trying to sell it. The  only other thing I'd check is the floor. Look underneath and see if there's any evidence of softness. There's probably not -- the floor systems seem to be pretty well thought out.

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
hoppy
Back-er-in-er

Peachtree City, GA

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:02:25 AM »

If you search this forum for "ABS Roof" you'll find lots of information and plenty of opinions.

ABS roofs were not available until MY 1996, so the OP should not be concerned with this potential problem.

Keep your kinlin' dry

Hoppy  Big Smile 
Hoppette  Blush
2001 Silverado TV   Pickup Grey
2001 Coleman Mesa   PopUp Cyan
hoppy
Back-er-in-er

Peachtree City, GA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:27:52 AM »

I also analysis abundance Every ages and Every time we are application mi ride for a continued way ride.

HUH ?

Keep your kinlin' dry

Hoppy  Big Smile 
Hoppette  Blush
2001 Silverado TV   Pickup Grey
2001 Coleman Mesa   PopUp Cyan
OnTheRoadAgain
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »

I also analysis abundance Every ages and Every time we are application mi ride for a continued way ride.

HUH ?

I'll translate - he said he owns a '95 Sequoia himself, and just loves it!  But he wishes he would have gotten one with a bigger refrigerator...

2004 Suburban 4x4
1996 Chevy 1500 Pickup 4x4

Currently PUP-less....
But looking at Fleetwood Sequoia or Niagara.. or maybe a Starcraft Centennial 3614?
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:07:20 AM »

If you search this forum for "ABS Roof" you'll find lots of information and plenty of opinions.

ABS roofs were not available until MY 1996, so the OP should not be concerned with this potential problem.

They seem to have used them in the photos for the 1995 brochure. I was basing my comment on that. Sorry for any confusion.

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: