October 25, 2014, 08:43:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FTCA / Fleetwood/ Coleman roof replacement  (Read 10584 times)
rvankeur
Wheel Chocker

« on: May 02, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »

Hi - I'm posting to see if anyone out there who has been waiting on a replacement roof from FTCA in the past 6 months has actually received it?

Background - DH and I dropped off our 2004 Fleetwood Utah at the dealer back in September after having the roof spring a leak above the back bunk.  Dealer finally got approval to replace it under warranty (including the canvas on that end and curtains), but has not been successful in getting the replacement roof.

Dealer is frustrated (I have no real issue with the dealer - they're good people, stuck in a bad spot) - they've got several popups that are sitting on their property since last fall waiting for a roof.  Dealer is getting the run-around from FTCA, they gave me the phone number for FTCA - when I called them about a month or two ago, I found out that FTCA had closed for 2 or 3 months over the winter.

Allegedly FTCA is back to manufacturing the roofs, but still my dealer hasn't heard word one on when they were going to receive ANY of the roofs.

So - any dealers out there?   Have you been able to get a roof delivered from FTCA in the last 6 months?
What about owners - any new roofs?

Just wondering if we ought to cut our losses and go to a solid-body.

Thanks,
Rose
  PopUp Grey  Van Blue
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »

I wonder how long they will string you along, seem fraudulent to me!

I would think FTCA's honor would insist a new roof be shipped promptly? No?

Having been a consumer for a long time, it gets under my skin when the customer is treated so poorly. Many folks on this forum praise what they consider good service, I've never considered doing the right thing all that praise worthy!

Is the warranty worth the paper it's on?

expect them to behave like a corporation - no - expect them to promptly ship the replacement.

Do you feel held hostage yet?

I hear they stand behind their product, are you feeling the love yet?

The Mandolin Picker
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »

When we had roof problems with our 2004 Niagara, it was still under Fleetwood ownership. It took a threat to go to the State Attorney General's Office as well as our own legal counsel if they didn't honor their warranty. That got the wheels moving and we had a new roof in about 3 weeks. If they have already approved the new roof, it places FCTA on even weaker ground than when I dealt with Fleetwood, as they have admitted they need to replace the roof. Sometimes a well placed letter from a lawyer can have remarkable effects. Just be ready to back up any action you threaten.

Maryland Bob & Virginia
 SUV Black 07 Jeep Commander (Primary TV)
 SUV Green 98 Jeep Cherokee (Backup TV)
 PopUp Blue 07 Fleetwood Arcadia
 PopUp Green 04 Fleetwood Niagara (gone but not forgotten)
Wink 2001 Tacoma M-3 Mandolin
Smile 1996 Washburn D21 Guitar
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffey
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:37:50 AM »

They can't ship what they don't have.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
rvankeur
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »

Yep - I realize they can't ship what they don't have - that's kind of the reason for the question - I'm wondering if they've built enough that people are starting to see them...

Thanks for the input..

Rose
rvankeur
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »

Called the dealer today and asked for FTCA's phone number.

Called FTCA - 814-445-9661 - and spoke with a gentleman named Terry who informed me that they'd been shut down for like 5 months over the winter, they're compiling a list of the roofs that they need to make, and when they have the list, and the parts, they'll start to build the roofs.

They haven't even begun to build the roofs.  Oh joy.  I think it's time to bring it home, caulk and duct tape the heck out of it, and figure out what non-Fleetwood trailer is next on our list.

At this point, if anyone asks if they should shop at my dealer - I'd still say yes - just stay the heck away from the Coleman/Fleetwood popups.
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:53:29 AM »

More waiters!

others wait for parts.

mjp
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »

We were waiting for a new roof, but not anymore.  We ended up trading for a TT.

When I summerized my 04 Fleetwood Tacoma in 2008, I noticed the roof was not sealing in the closed position.  A trip to the dealer informed me I needed a new roof, which would take a couple of months to get in.  We were told we could and should use the pup for the summer.  I took it in for the new roof in October and nothing happened.  When I contacted FTCA in March, the agent apologized for the delay and said my case was being looked into and that they would contact my dealer.  When another month went by and I heard nothing, I had no confidence that I would be able to meet my 2009 camping obligations.

If you search the site, you will find others who are waiting on roof replacements.

Joe
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »

Lets look at this from the company's perspective.

1.  You can build roofs for new trailers and sell them at a profit.

2.  You can bulid roofs for warranty repairs and lose money on every one.

Ummmm....

In case you can't figure it out:  Don't plan on getting a warranty roof until the plant is back in production making trailers at a profit.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
thebrakeman
Parking Heckler

Canton, Michigan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »

Until the roof comes in, ask the dealer for one of their rental units to use.  Then, it's up to the dealer if they want to try getting reimbursed for the rental cost.  In the meantime, you got free storage for the year!!!  The glass is half-full, my friend!

thebrakeman ('70)
DW ('71), 3 DD's ('99, '01, '05)
 SUV White 2006 Mercury Mountaineer AWD Premier (V8 4.6L 3-valve)
Factory Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer 10k WDH
2004 Forest River Surveyor SV261T (Ultralite Hybrid)
27-ft, Front Queen Tipout, Rear Quad Bunks
1997/2000 Chrysler minivans & 2000 Coleman Mesa (popup)
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Lets look at this from the company's perspective.

1.  You can build roofs for new trailers and sell them at a profit.

2.  You can build roofs for warranty repairs and lose money on every one.

Ummmm....

In case you can't figure it out:  Don't plan on getting a warranty roof until the plant is back in production making trailers at a profit.

-- Chuck

I think it was you Chuck that suggested parts would be available, and not much would change at this 'new' company.
Seems things have changed quite a bit, wouldn't ya say?

The point is when someone tried to scam FTCA, everyone cried foul.
Now that many folks are being held hostage waiting, no compassion!

What about that big 'warranty' fund Fleetwood passed onto FTCA???

SDROCKET
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »

The warranty fund wasn't worth much from what I could tell.  And considering Fleetwood shut down a huge portion of its production lines, if it wasn't a lump sum thing, then good luck collecting the payments.

As far as the overall stuff goes, a letter from an attorney isn't likely to help this situation too much, if they can't afford to produce them and get the materials, then they can't build them.  Dealers are pushing things every day, and trying to get stuff out. 

The money isn't there, because so much cash went out buying back units undercontract with GE floorplanning, and with dealerships going out of business all over the country, they have no control, but are required to pay out for them.  That is where most of the cash on hand went.

If they could build and shp the tops, they would in a heartbeat.

On an updateing note, they are building roofs now, I got one of the 7 I am waiting for on Monday.  This is a good sign.  This one was on order for a year.

Also, they are in close to full production on the new units, and have money for building parts, so things are starting to pick up.  I have a million orders I am waiting for, and I have no Idea when we will get caught up, but it has to start somewhere, and it seems to be doing so.

2009 Coleman Cheyenne
2008 Jeep Liberty CLIII Tow Pkg.
rvankeur
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »

Thank you for the update on your outstanding orders. 

That's better news than I'd expected, given what the guy at FTCA told me earlier this week about not even having started building them.

don Pablo de exchange
Handle Cranker

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »

On an updateing note, they are building roofs now, I got one of the 7 I am waiting for on Monday.  This is a good sign.  This one was on order for a year.

A year! Ouch.. Glad i didn't buy a Coleman. can you imagine dropping $10k on a new unit only to have it sit unusable for 1 year because of defective parts and delayed build schedules a few years later

At what point does the warranty move from reasonable expectations to abusive?

I work in computers and the term WEEK is long, i would think 4-6 weeks would be reasonable for such a major part on a RV, 3 months a stretch. but not a year.

Paul

Paul

Van Red 2005 Toyota Sienna CE Toyota  Reese Mini 350 WDH/ Airlift 1000's/ P3 Brake Control
 PopUp Green 2009 Flagstaff 625d  PopUp Green

Canada ME
 Canada DW
 Canada DD
SDROCKET
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 06:44:08 AM »

actually, to be fair, they had sent the replacement top a few months ago, but during transport on the freight truck it kind of fell over and twisted, not able to be used, so the rest of the time it wwas waiting for a replacement for a replacement...

2009 Coleman Cheyenne
2008 Jeep Liberty CLIII Tow Pkg.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: