July 31, 2014, 11:34:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on buying used 2008 Fleetwood Bayside  (Read 6752 times)
Mustang
Back-er-in-er

« on: April 30, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »

My sister is considering buying a used 2008 Bayside and has asked my opinion. I've had a pup for 10 years and have been active with these boards and some local camping clubs. She knows I have a lot of knowledge with these things, but I want to get some other opinions as well. I'm a little biased...I really want her to get a pup so we can camp year 'round with her. Basically, this is a floorplan and size she likes. Her main concern was with price and what her not being an original owner will do to the various warranties.

I'd love to hear what some of you have to say about buying a used 2008 Bayside (options include roof-mount Yakima bike rack, awning, 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks, and all the usual comfort features inside) for about $10,000.

Thanks!

Loretta
DH-Mike
DD-93, CSULB
DS-96
"Bodega" the camping Cattle Dog
1999 Coleman Sun Valley
2000 Ford Expedition   PopUp Green SUV Green
SDROCKET
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »

I might offer a little lower if I were her, but used campers are going pretty strong, so it's hard to say in your area what would be a good price. 

As far as the warranty is concerned, if she isn't buying new, there are no warranties.  You can however get a reasonable price on an extended service contract to cover all of the major apliances, and some also cover lift system problems, and vacation compensation if there is a problem, (good luck getting a warranty to cover that in most cases). 

If i were buying something like this I would strongly recommend the contract, cuz you use it once if the fridge takes a dump, it pays for itself.  Plus the roadside service is often included.

2009 Coleman Cheyenne
2008 Jeep Liberty CLIII Tow Pkg.
Mustang
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »

The seller is a private party and is asking $11k. Where would she inquire about an extended service contract? A dealership? And yes, used campers are going quickly around here from what we can tell. Banks and CUs are not willing to do any lending for a new trailer yet, even with half down and a credit rating over 780!

Loretta
DH-Mike
DD-93, CSULB
DS-96
1999 Coleman Sun Valley
TooManyTents
Parking Heckler

Willamette Valley, Oregon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »

Mustang,
SDROCKET does know what he's talking about.  I don't have anything useful to add, but good luck.

Dave Oregon - 1999 Coleman Cheyenne   2003.5 Coleman Utah  PopUp Grey  Pickup White ---->  2011 Ever-Lite 27RB TravTrl Long Green  Pickup White
Cagey
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »

I am a proponent of buying used, you can get so much more for your money and don't have to deal with the depreciation should you decide that you want to do something differently in the future.  I bought my camper used and have had no major problems with it (except for a bum ABS roof which as we all know is a whole different issue).

I also wouldn't worry about an extended warranty.  I think the chances of something major breaking on the camper is pretty low compared to the money you'd have to pay for a warranty.  Plus, a late model camper PLUS the cost of the warranty will probably get you pretty close to just buying a new one outright, which probably defeats the purpose of buying used.

Bottom line ... I say she should go for it.

PS:  I'm assuming no one has heard of any problems with the new Filon roofs, right?  That would be the only sticking point as far as I can see.

Cagey

2004 Jayco 14SO - My Big 'Ole Honkin' PUP - Nicknamed "Big Jake" or the "Phat Boy"
2001 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8
1997 Merc Mountaineer V8 AWD - Ole' Faithful
2 Great Teenage Boys, 1 FANTASTIC Wife (for 21 Years!)
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN ---> 1999 Fleetwood Santa Fe CP, sold to my Brother-In-Law
Rest In Peace, Big Blue - BLOWN ENGINE - 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Pick Up 4WD - Sentimental Value Because It's My Dad's Old Truck
Mustang
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »

Well she did it! Wiffy (as she will be known here on the boards) got her 2008 Bayside for a fair price of $10k. We looked at it last night and it is just right for her and her DH. Hopefully this works out great for them!

Loretta
DH-Mike
DD-93, CSULB
DS-96
1999 Coleman Sun Valley
redwood_14
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »

Skip the extended warranty, I haven't fixed anything in the 6 years and 2 Pups.

An older friend of mine had the Bayside for a few years and traded it for a 28' travel trailer, he hated it, wanted his Bayside back.

Me, the Wife, 2 boys and a Golden Retreiver.
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
2004 Fleetwood Redwood 14' Highwall.
PJay
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

I am happy for your purchase.  I/We own a 2000 Coleman Bayside and although two out of three kids have left, I don't want to "downsize" or change.  The Bayside is a great camper, and I have kept up with its changes over the years. 
Even though my camper is 9 years old, I have been told I can still ask $9000.00 and expect to get it.  So I would say the price you paid was fair.

PJay
DW of AustinMN (also known as AustinBoston)
DS - Benjamin (18)
Skattering Family ... They are getting married and moving away!
BaysideBear
Chocks-a-lot

Bradford, Ontario, Canada.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 05:50:40 AM »

Here Here !!! We have a 06 Bayside and just love it a few mods to suit our purposes and we're golden, haven't had a single problem with it to date, Good luck with your's and Happy Camp'n, I'm sure you'll enjoy everything about it

Canada / Ontario / Prince Edward Island
 PopUp Blue 06 Fleetwood Bayside
 Pickup Blue 07 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4V8 4x4
SDROCKET
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 05:58:10 AM »

Haven't had much problem with filon roofs at all, so we are good to go there.  Congrats on the new unit, I'm sure you will be very happy with it!! Big Smile

2009 Coleman Cheyenne
2008 Jeep Liberty CLIII Tow Pkg.
Popups4Rent
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »

Be careful an awning pole does not contact the Filon roof in a wind gust. They pole holes.

In the 30+ campers I have owned I have had 3 appliances break. 1 A/C in manufacturers warranty, 1 A/C out of manufacturers warranty and 1 refrigerator in manufacturers warranty. The appliances are very good in these campers.

2004 [
tv-ford] Excursion 6.0L PSD

Very few nights camped in 2010 Sad
TongueKissesBlushClownBlushBlush
www.Campers4Rent.com

Fleetwood popups, Various travel trailers and hybrids and a Class C Sunseeker
Jerryla
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 04:47:02 AM »

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Bayside which had been used a total of 5 times.  We gave $7500 then added an a/c.  We don't really have anything to compare it to, it's our first, but we love it.  I think it was a good choice for us and I'm sure  you will get years of enjoyment out of this unit.

A bad day camping is still better than a good day working!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: