October 02, 2014, 12:23:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: generator recommendations?  (Read 17396 times)
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« on: June 09, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »

Do you have any generator recommendations for me? i am looking for a quiet one and i only really know of the honda. I know that there are other manufactures and i was wondering if you have one or know some one that has one. (pros cons price etc)

Thanks

This post is from HYX member and merged with the PUX forum data in April of 2009.
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »

Honda or Yamaha.  Dem's the quiet ones.

Wattage and price run together.  You want to run the AC?  Need at least 2000 watts and that may not be enough.  Bigger engines are less stressed and can be more reliable.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind an '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
 Rockwood Roo 23SS

This post is from HYX member and merged with the PUX forum data in April of 2009.
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »

With the Honda and Yamaha models and AC, more powerful = less stressed = more quiet.

You can pick up a Honda 1000 or Yamaha 1000 for about $600. A Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2400 runs about $1000. A Honda 3000 runs about $1600. Wise Sales has good deals on these generators.

I believe that Kipor makes a set of generators with similar ranges of price, quality, quietness, and power.

If you want reliable use of AC, you want at least 3000 watts. The 3000 watt Honda has a larger tank and a remote start, but is not exactly portable (160lbs).

You can buy two Honda 2000s and a connection kit. This gives you power for AC and a bit more portability than the one larger generator.

If you just want battery charging, a 1000 watt generator will take care of your needs nicely (and is very easy to take along).

The Yamaha 2400 is significantly larger and heavier than the Honda 2000, but many have had more success with running ACs than with the Honda 2000.

If you add a start capacitor to your AC, you may have more luck with both the Honda 2000 and the Yamaha 2400.

I have a Honda 2000 and have added a start capacitor to my AC (the AC would not run with the Honda 2000 before I did that). On low current draw, I agree that the Honda 2000 is pretty quiet. Running my AC however, the Honda 2000 is plenty loud. In fact, when I am sitting inside the camper, the noise of the generator outside (placed about 10' from the back of the camper, with exhaust pointing away from the camper) is louder than the AC.

None of these generators is quiet enough to operate after quiet time in a campground, but they probably would not annoy most neighbors if they were just used to charge batteries for a couple of hours early in the day.

2008 Jay Feather Exp 26L
2007 Viking Elite 2107 w/AC
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max w/Tow Pkg

USA DH(me),  UK DW, DS1(9), DS2(7), DD(5)

Our Photos

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:37:26 AM »

What do you want if for?  Charging the batteries or using the full capabilities of your unit including a/c?

Just charging the battery, get a Honda or Yamaha 1000 and call it a day.  Want to run the a/c get a Honda 2000 and pray it works, get a Yamaha 2400 and it'll probably work, get a Honda 3000 kill your back and it will work.

BTW I have a Champion 3000/4000 but it's a little to inexpensive, noisy for most people but I do mostly use it on the road as apposed to the campground unless the power goes out.

Jim_in_Calgary
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

I will second the recommendation of Honda and Yamaha.

My FIL has the Honda 4000 inverter and it runs his air conditioning and is quiet.  Problem is, it is so big, heavy it is hard for one person to move it.  After doing some research I was pointed towards the Yamaha EF2400IS.  It will run my roof air, it is quiet, and it is quite a bit lighter than the Honda 4000, which is their smallest unit that will run roof air.  I can pick the Yamaha up and out of my 3/4 ton pick-up bed and carry it (with a little difficulty) around my campsite.

You'd have to be very strong to do that with the honda.  Also, the yamaha is very quiet and efficient.  Overall, I'm very pleased with this unit.

------------------------------------------
TravTrl Long Black '07 Kingsport 235 BHL
GMC '07.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LMM
bobjones1
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »

I am tempted to try one of these cuz of the price- not ready to buy one yet cuz I gotta do reroof/ repairs on PUP first.
http://digitalgenerator.net/

NEW FOR 2009 THE DL3300SiRW IS TEMPORARILY BEING OFFERED FULLY LOADED WITH
BUILT IN LOCKING WHEELS, ELECTRIC START (battery included), REMOTE START (w/ two
remotes), AND FREE SHIPPING ALL AS STANDARD FEATURES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

DIGITAL's light weight inverter generators utilize cutting edge inverter technology
that significantly minimizes the size, weight, fuel consumption & noise level while
maximizing the power output, reliability, and pureness of the sine wave produced
which saves you money and is safer for all of your appliances & high end equipment. 
Our quality and value are second to none.  DIGITAL is proud to release the
DL3300SiRW as the largest of three new inverter units to kick off 2009.  DIGITAL has
plans to release more exciting new units before the end of the year so check back or
contact us for info on units coming soon.   When shopping around remember that
DIGITAL, though new to the USA, with seven years experience in production is one of
the world's most experienced companies at producing the new technology that is
portable digital inverter power generators.   
We appreciate your business - Thanks & God Bless.

The New DIGITAL DL3300SiRW is our most powerful inverter unit and is designed with the outdoorsman and
specifically the RV and camper enthusiast in mind.  It comes standard with turn key electric start, remote start, and
heavy duty frame mounted four wheel kit (no assembly necessary).  It is an extremely smooth running inverter
generator with eco-throttle mode that allows it to idle all the way down to a no load super quite sound level that also
significantly lowers the fuel consumption.  This is a very exciting new model and at this price we feel it is hands
down the best buy in it's class.  It runs down to an extremely low noise level of 52 to 59 db with lower levels
achieved with eco-throttle engaged. Even with its heavy duty frame electric starting system and wheels it still
weighs less than the base weights of either the Honda or Yamaha inverters in it's class while providing more max
power output.   It puts out a rated load of 3000 watts with a max load power output capacity of 3300 watts.  It comes
with 1 covered standard grounded 120v outlet (like the ones in your home), an RV outlet, and a 12 volt outlet
(charging cable is also included).  This unit is large enough to run those larger appliances and it's designed to easily
set up on the go.  It is a great camping, boating, or RV generator when you need to be up in the 3000 watt class and
will compare very favorably with other leading brands.  It comes with a one year warranty and full parts availability.

Statement of Faith

THIS ITEM IS
CURRENTLY
UNDER OUR
FREE SHIPPING
PROMOTION*

Rated frequency          60 (Hz)
Rated voltage (V)         120v & 12v
Rated current (A)         25
Rated speed         900 RPM to 5000 RPM
Rated output power         3,000 Watts
Max output power         3,300 Watts
DC output         12V-8.3 A (charging cable included)
Electric circuit breaker         Electronics circuit breaker built-in
Phase number         Single phase
Fuel tank capacity         3.5 gallons
Continuous running time (hr)(rated output)         8.0 hrs. at full load     12 hrs at 50% load
Noise level (dB@7m) (no load/full load)         52dB at idle / 58dB at full load
Overall dimension (in)         23" Length  17" Width  19.5" Height
Dry weight (lbs)         123 lbs
Ignition system         T.D.I
Engine type         EPA certified, Single cylinder, 4-stroke, vertical air-cooled, Over Head Cam, gasoline engine
Displacement (cc)         270 cc
Spark plug         NGK
Starting system    Electric start with recoil start as backup, remote start with remote control and automatic choke
Fuel type         Automotive unleaded gasoline
Lube oil         SAE10W30 (above CC grade)
- Specifications are based on factory testing information and should be considered estimates only.  They may vary slightly w/ individual units -

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:15:27 PM by bobjones1 » Logged
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:24:44 AM »

My FIL has the Honda 4000 inverter and it runs his air conditioning and is quiet.  Problem is, it is so big, heavy it is hard for one person to move it.  After doing some research I was pointed towards the Yamaha EF2400IS.  It will run my roof air, it is quiet, and it is quite a bit lighter than the Honda 4000, which is their smallest unit that will run roof air.

Since Honda doesn't offer a 4000 watt inverter genset I suspect you mean the Honda EU3000is which will easily run any 13,500 BTU roof mounted A/C unit.  However, at 138 lbs dry it's a heavy unit so many interested in running A/C have been instead choosing the Yamaha EF2400is ... but it looks now though that Honda has responded by introducing the new light weight EU3000i Handi that weighs 78 lbs dry, only 8 lbs more than the Yamaha EF2400is, but far more capable of running an A/C unit.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:26:16 AM by Oz and Us » Logged

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
chilipyro
Sr. Moderator
Back-er-in-er

Windsor, CT

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 03:56:37 AM »

I'd sure like to hear what the new Honda 3000 Handi sounds like, when it is running the AC. The size and weight, plus the nice handle and wheels, make it look like a pretty good alternative to a Yamaha 2400 or the Honda 3000i. But, the noise specs for full load seem to have it in the range of a Champion. The lower end of the noise specs have it a couple db louder than the Honda 2000i too (and several db louder than the 3000i), so I would wonder about that too. The quiet purr of my Honda 2000, when it is just charging the batteries or running a hair drier, is very comfortable. But, when that steps up to the power level of running a microwave, I am very happy that the microwave doesn't tend to operate for more than a minute or two. When I could get it to run an AC (no longer, now that I have a 15Kbtu AC), it was unpleasantly loud.

2009 Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch dually 4x4 crew cab longbed 6.7L powerstroke diesel

USA DH(me),  UK DW, DS1(15), DS2(14), DD(12)

Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »

The 78 pound (empty) Honda 3000 Handi is really a 2600 watt (21.6 amp) genset with a peak power rating of 3000 watts (25 amps). 

The twice as heavy (134 pounds) EU3000iSA is 2800 watts (23.3 amps) with a surge to 3000 watts.  Not sure that makes a difference, but they're different.

The 3000 Handi is significantly louder (65dbA) than the EU3000 (58dBA) or the EU2000 (59dBA) or the lil' EU1000iA2 (59dBA) -- all at full throttle.

If you just need battery charging the EU1000iA2 is wonderful.  And she'd run my Espresso coffee pot in the morning too.  Wouldn't run the microwave, hair dryer, nor the AC.

The Honda EU6500iSA 6500 watt genset is pretty quiet at 60dBA, but weighs 300 pounds with fuel.  And has a MSRP of $4500.  Wink

Lots of PRC (Chinese) knock-off gensets on the market it seems.  The "Digital" brand has no history.  Even Kipor has a use record.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »

I'll recommend the $99 (currently $149) 2 stoke 1000 watt.

I own it and it works.

Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 06:52:30 AM »

Just musing ...

Seems to me the biggest hurdle to get by when selecting a genset is whether it offers sufficient capacity to start and run a rooftop A/C unit.  Many not interested in dealing with the Honda EU3000i's weight / cost / size but are still wiling to pay for a "quiet" genset will often instead choose what I would have thought up until recently to be the better alternate - the Yamaha EF2400is, because it's nearly half the weight of the Honda yet will run a 13,500 BTU A/C (I know it does because I have a friend who owns one and can easily run his DuoTherm 13,500 BTU A/C with it).  However, running A/C means running the genset for hours on end and it certainly won't be running in the ECO (i.e. quietest) mode when under that much load.  I could see doing that during midday road side stops but in a campground I'd be pretty uncomfortable having my genset running for hours, possibly disturbing others, just because I don't want to be hot.  At the other spectrum the super light weight Honda EU1000i will easily recharge the camper battery and run something like a toaster or coffee machine, etc, but it won't ever run an A/C unit ... so I'm now wondering if the good ol' Honda EU2000is just might be the "best" genset after all, in that it can do what it's smaller brother can do with more liklihood it'll do it while running in ECO mode, plus it reportedly will run a 13,500 BTU A/C unit that's been fitted with a hard start capacitor.  Considering it costs less than a Yamaha EF2400is and is considerably lighter at just 47 lbs dry maybe it's the darling of the genset crowd after all!

Oz Mods Gallery

sloscheider
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »

...... lets not forget that this question was asked over a year ago....  Cheesy
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »

And your point would be? Question

The OP is a new poster ... surely he has a right to ask any questions he wants whether it's been asked "over a year ago" or not ... and just as surely anyone who would like to comment on the topic also has the right to participate in the discussion ... no?

Oz Mods Gallery

sloscheider
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

No offense intended.... I'm not sure how you can tell who the OP was or that they are a "new poster" as their name doesn't show up and they have 0 posts listed.  I don't recall telling anyone they can't post a question or comment.
chilipyro
Sr. Moderator
Back-er-in-er

Windsor, CT

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

The question is timeless - when one thread dies, you can bet that another will pop up with the same question within a month. Shy

Interestingly, the answers continue to develop new dimensions though. OzAndUs mentions the new Honda 3000 handi. Just the other day, I saw a Yamaha 2000i at Cabela's - same size and weight as the Honda 2000i. So, if you like the Honda 2000, but wish it came in blue, you can have it in a Yamaha now Cool.

2009 Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch dually 4x4 crew cab longbed 6.7L powerstroke diesel

USA DH(me),  UK DW, DS1(15), DS2(14), DD(12)

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: