October 02, 2014, 06:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pop out insulation...?  (Read 9270 times)
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« on: April 02, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

does anybody know whether or not there is a product out there that can cover the pop out to provide extra insulation on cold nights ?

it seems that the heater does a great job of warming up the center of the trailer, but the extremeties dont get as warm..

as summer approaches, soon this wont be a problem, but right now the nights can get cold in texas and i know we will be camping during the fall and winter too..

and as i am writing this im wondering if we shouldnt just use our electric blanket..

fyi, i have an 03 starcraft antigua 215SB

This post is from HYX member and merged with the PUX forum data in April of 2009.
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »

I'm told Pop Up Gizmos work wonders.  Mine are still in the box because I bought them in January.  I will find out soon how well they work.

Ford Pickup Red '06 Ford F-150 5.4 Flareside Crew
 PopUp Blue '01 Jayco 10FS
[hyblue] '07 Jayco 232 in ginger (finally here)
prodigy and equal-i-zer

This post is from HYX member and merged with the PUX forum data in April of 2009.
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »

When we cold weather camp we do several things to increase the comfort of our Hybrid. We cover the bunkends with PopUpGizmo's covers to help insulate. We use an electric blanket to warm the bedding. We line the outer walls of the bunkends with silvered accordian auto sunshades (cut to fit) to help insulate the outer walls. We also run a ceramic heater to supplement the propane heat. We camped last Valentines in Pa. when night time temps. were below zero and we had approx. 10 inches of snow and ice on the ground. We (and another couple) had a great fun filled weekend with our campers at a very spacious campground. Had a great big bonfire on top of the ice to roast marshmallows over!
Cheryl

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »

Here's a link about using Reflectix window inserts:

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56172

2006 Toyota Tundra Doublecab 4X4  Pickup Red
2004 Fleetwood Hemlock[popgreen]
2007 TrailCruiser C243S [hyblue]

http://community.webshots.com/user/wiscampsin

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »

Like said by these

http://www.popupgizmos.com/

Or Cabrela's thermal blankets will also do the job.  Hot or cold there is nothing that will make such a diff in the inside temps of a HTT or popup.  Oh and the Reflectix in the window and you set.

2007 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.4L CC 3:73LS Ford
2006 ANTiqua 235SBS[hb]
shum 64
SwingingBonnie DW 65
DS 95
DD 99
Our Camping Photos
Our New Camping Photos
"Thppt!"  Bill the Cat, Bloom County

FYOB Part Deux /III/IV Survivor
2007 – 60+ Nights
2008 – 3 Nights & Going for another Record!

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

I use Coghlan's #8544 Thermal Blankets bungee'd to the tenting. They're almost the same size as the bunks, and are pretty inexpensive. I also use electric blankets, and I turn the A/C fan on, with an electric heater pointed at it. It works pretty good at distributing the heat to the bunks.

Cool Geoff & Jill Kisses
& Ranger, The Big Yellow Dog

'05 TravelStar 19CK  Hybrid Pickup Grey'00[tv-gmc]Sonoma
'01 Dutchmen 1006D

^^^^^ Click me! ^^^^^
Winnipeg, Manitoba Manitoba  Canada BEER! 49.9° N 97.2° W

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »

I'm not sure how they work in cold weather,but Gizmos are great in hot weather. They kept my old PU about 35-50% cooler inside, in 95+ weather. The compressor on the A/C unit actually cut on /off. I was real surprised how much of a diffrence they made.

David
21SS Shamrock
F-150

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:35:07 AM »

good to know what you guys are doing..
thanks for the info.

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »

BTW, we used an electric blanket the last time we went camping..
it kept us VERY comfortable on a cold night...

i will still look into the pop up gizmos as we head into summer to keep the bunkends cooler..

we will see how we do with the AC and fans first..

Jolly Roger
Starcraft Antigua
[hygreen] Pickup RedGMC
GMC Sierra V8
Texas

"its not what you've got, its what you can do with it."

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »

Popup Gizmo's work well in the colder temperatures.  They create and extra layer of insulation, plus with the dark side out, and with the sun's help, warms the inside of the camper.  I would also consider the reflectix insulation in the bunk windows.  This insulation is a bubble wrap material with and outer foil layer, which helps keep the warmth inside.  I've used this method during the late fall and early spring when we camped in our popup.  I've camped many times when the temps dipped down in the mid twenty's, and the interior temp in our popup was in the seventy's, with the help of two ceramic heaters.  

This same method of insulating your camper also helps during the very hot summer months.  The only different's, you have the Gizmo Covers set up with the foil side up.  I wish you well.

Michael & Laura Rowe
2008 Surveyor SV233
2005 Chevy Express 3500

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:13:08 AM »

Gizmos (or a homemade version like we have made from sportsmans blankets) and Reflectix zipped into the windows works wonders.  This combo has kept us from using our heater at all for the past year even when lows were near 40.

And as for the foil up/foil down issue, we keep ours foil side up regardless of temps.  The foil side collects all the tree sap, bird droppings, etc. and I really don't want to deal with cleaning them.  Plus ours are blue on the reverse side which gives the bunk ends a nice sky-colored ceiling.  I can't believe there would be a huge difference during the winter being shiny side down as most of the benefit would be from the insulating layer of air between cover and bunk end.

Parrot Head
  Hybrid  '00 Cabana 1701  
 Van White '01 Chevy Astro

gjb298
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »

guess it is obvious by now, PUGs (popup gizmos) are the answer. If you got the money, you can order them. DW and I, with our first hybrid camper, bought two rolls of reflectix and some aluminum tape from lowes... and made our own. Made tops for bunk ends first. used scraps taped together to make window inserts and used what was left to go under the mattress. We have camped twice... both times we have heated the camper with one ceramic heater (saves propane when electricity is free) and it has been real comfotable...
you can do all this for less then $80
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »

you realize your are posting an answer to thread that's almost 2 years old. The other posters already have their answer.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
op1
Handle Cranker

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »

Use a fan at the top of the bunk to push the hot air into the bunk ends. It works great. We had snow one time and I didn't even have to zip the sleeping bag. No other insulation. Just a fan to push the hot air into the bunk.

OP1

1 Wife
2 kids
1 Minivan 2003 Oddy
1 camper 94 Chesapeake
whole lot of fun
xkuzme1
Back-er-in-er

I live vicariously through myself!

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »

Wholly Necropost. 

TV 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited