September 21, 2014, 08:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Coleman-Fleetwood Roof Material Discussion.  (Read 15930 times)
seinfeld
Wheel Chocker

« on: March 27, 2009, 05:56:26 AM »

OK, I now know what an ABS roof is and why they were bad.  My questions is, What are the newer roofs made of and how are they structurally different and better than the ABS roofs of the past?  Also,  has anyone had any major issues with the roof since ABS went away?  I could most likely find all of this info by searching this site all day and piecing the posts together but this is just easier.  Thanks again for all of your knowledge.  I have learned so much over the last two months.  The information shared here is extremely valuable.

Do Not Look To The Sky, It Won't Rain For You.
lnorman
Parking Heckler

Ottawa, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »

Brief Summary, non-authoritative:
2003.5 -2005?  "Alumitite" composite roof aluminum outer skin, fine diamond pattern in outer skin, seams hidden under roof rails.  Fairly resistant to denting, no warping, significant leakage problems usually associated with the through roof screws holding the rails on.
2005-2006  Essentially the same roof, some minor variation in style of end caps, but they dropped the "Alumitite" name, same plusses and minuses, I think toward the end of this run and on warranty replacement roofs they began attaching the rails with adhesive rather than screws, I have not heard of one of these replacements leaking yet.
2007-2008 "Filon"  fiberglass outer skin, 1 piece.  So far no reports of leaking or failure I am aware of
2009 Filon roof persists but also on economy Americana LE line the presumably less expensive conventional aluminum skin roof returns.  Fairly good track record for failure and leaks, does dent quite easily.  As far as I know the largest trailers/highwalls have always had the conventional aluminum skin roof.
That's my best recollection.
Oz and Us will have more accurate info and SDROCKET may have perspective seeing these from his side of the dealership counter.
Larry

PopUp Blue Van Grey 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley/2007 Toyota Sienna LE Toyota Reese Mini 350 WDH/ Airlift 1000's/ Prodigy Brake Control
lnorman'66  Canada Ontario, and family: DW '70[can] British Columbia, DD'02[can], DD '03  Canada,DS '06  Canada
Nights camped 2007 = 35
Sandbanks/Charleston Lake/Sandbanks/Killbear/Lake of Two Rivers/Bonnechere/Achray/ Canisbay
Nights camped 2008= 35
Sandbanks/Sandbanks/Riverside-Cedars/Killbear/Coon Lake/Bonnechere/ Achray/ Mew Lake
Nights camped 2009=24
Sandbanks/Sandbanks/Killbear/Burleigh Falls/Achray
Nights camped 2010=20
Sandbanks/Killbear/Burleigh Falls/
seinfeld
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I see a lot of discussion here about the Fleetwood roofs but my knowledge has been lacking.  I think I am starting to get a handle on this.

Do Not Look To The Sky, It Won't Rain For You.
SVInc
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »

I love the filon roof, it is easy to clean, and we had a branch fall on it while camping, and while it sounded like the roof was caving in, there wasn't even a dent or mark on it.

two thumbs up from my family :)

2008 Fleetwood Niagara | Electric Lift | A/C w heat| Deluxe Add a Room | Roof Rack with Dual pods -SOLD

2011 Outback 250RS
2010 F150 4x4 Max Tow Lariat 3.73 LSD
2006 Trailblazer SS AWD / P3 Brake Controller

2008 Nights Camped - 28
2009 Nights Camped - 49
2010 Nights Camped - 8
mjp
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:01:56 AM »

I have, oops, I mean had an 04 Fleetwood Tacoma with a basic Aluminum roof that failed under warranty.  In 2004, the Tacoma was in the Destiny Deluxe and did not come with the fancy Alumitite replacement for the ABS roof; it is the same size and floor plan of the ever popular Sun Valley, which was on hiatus that year.

The basic Aluminum roof of the Tacoma is not unique to Fleetwood-Coleman popups.

I noticed early in 2008 that the roof was not making a good seal with the camper's body when closed.  The gaps were especially wide along the front and back.  I was told in June that I needed a new roof, but to go ahead and use it in the mean time.  Apparently, it was possible to adjust the roof, but by the time I brought it in for the new roof, as scheduled with the dealer, in October, the roof had failed irreparably.

Water came in through the gaps and caused the wood panel to rot and the screws holding the tenting to the roof slipped out.  I also noticed some flexing that caused the caulking to crack.  We started to get water coming in under the awning as well.  Road grime soiled the bunk tenting and moisture inside led to mildew.

If the repair had been made last spring, we might still be using the pup.  Right now, it sits in the dealer's lot, where it has sat since October, unrepaired, but no longer my problem.

Joe

SDROCKET
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »

I like the filon roof a lot.  It's heavier, but it is built like a beast.

The only downside to it in my opinion is that they build it so hardcore, that if any part of it is damaged, like something falls on it and bends the little track for the awning, you can't replace it, you need a whole new roof.

I haven't had to do that yet, but I can see it happening.

2009 Coleman Cheyenne
2008 Jeep Liberty CLIII Tow Pkg.
jlenter
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Utah cp.  I don't know what the roof is made of but on our first trip a few days ago we were caught in hail storm and the roof looks like a golf ball now.  Even before the hail it was leaking from a rivet on the inside.  It looks intact from outside.  How do I determine where the leak is & what to apply to repair?

Jeff '54 Laura '62 Freckles the Wonder Dog Blue Heeler
'98 F-150 '05 Fleetwood Utah
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »

Filon no more!
2010 brochure
Roof
Americana LE, Destiny and Evolution Series roofs feature durable
aluminum exterior skins, folded along four sides to provide greater side
wall strength without additional seams.
Highlander and Americana offer a one-piece seamless aluminum skin

2009 brochure
Americana LE, Destiny, and Evolution Series Cobalt roofs
feature durable aluminum exterior skins, folded along four
sides to provide greater side wall strength without additional
seams
Highlander, Americana, and Evolution (exc. Cobalt) series
roofs feature a cambered, one-piece, front to rear fiberglass
skin, and full-length aluminum rails that integrate our
exclusive roof rack tracks
Americana, Highlander, and Evolution (exc. Cobalt)
series roofs feature a cambered, one-piece front to
rear fiberglass skin, and full-length aluminum rails
that integrate our exclusive roof rack tracks.
Destiny roofs feature an aluminum skin folded
along all four edges for added strength without
side seams.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:09:55 PM by rabird » Logged

rileysown
Back-er-in-er

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Utah cp.  I don't know what the roof is made of but on our first trip a few days ago we were caught in hail storm and the roof looks like a golf ball now.  Even before the hail it was leaking from a rivet on the inside.  It looks intact from outside.  How do I determine where the leak is & what to apply to repair?

Re-caulk everything including removing to roof rails and caulking under them and on every screw before screwing it back in. Don't use silicon caulk as it will not hold up and is annoying to remove.

FYBO III & FYBO IV Survivor
Me (Jim '66) My Blog
Wife (Ladysown--Annette '65) DW's blog
Son  (Justin '05)
TV  '97 Safari
2005 Chevy Silverado  PopUp Grey
2001 Jayco Quest 10v trailer
2005 Fleetwood Utah
 Canada

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
bols2Dawall
Back-er-in-er

Reporting from my Campin HQ in S. Ontario Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »

Yeh , what Riley said .  For a little more reading , try these links .

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=78246.0
http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=78247.0

2005 Fleetwood Colonial (10ft.)
 hitched to a
2009 Chev TrailBlazer
Captained by me , Mal
& accompanied by my lovely 1st mate
 Bernadette
kate8100
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »

Filon roof failure. ---- If you have a fleewood e series with a filon roof and have leaking, bubble in your roof, I found a great fix vs getting a new roof built.
colemans pop up devision went out of bis. just in time when it was mine turn to send me a new roof covered under warranty. ( how nice of them)

we went with LINE-X  to fix the problem and have not had a problem since. They matched the grey color and texture and it looks great and only added an additional 80 lbs to the weight of the roof. cost us $600 vs $3000 for a new roof to be built.
Tukee44
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »

Went to the dealer last week and asked about roof repair/replacement. Said they can apply a coating for $1800, or about $3000 for brand new roof.

I don't know what kind of coating they put on, but really interest for anything less than $1K.
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »

Brief Summary, non-authoritative:
2005-2006  Essentially the same roof, some minor variation in style of end caps, but they dropped the "Alumitite" name, same plusses and minuses, I think toward the end of this run and on warranty replacement roofs they began attaching the rails with adhesive rather than screws, I have not heard of one of these replacements leaking yet.

On my '06 Bayside track is still screwed on.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »

Went to the dealer last week and asked about roof repair/replacement. Said they can apply a coating for $1800, or about $3000 for brand new roof.

Since this thread is a discussion about Fleetwood / Coleman roofs I'm assuming you have this brand of trailer ... if that's the case I have to ask ... pray tell, where does this dealer expect to source a "brand new roof" considering the company was shut down permanently last Jan and is no longer manufacturing replacement parts? Question

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
skipro
Back-er-in-er

Sevierville, TN

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to know that as well since I recently found more new cracks in my 2002 ABS roof.

2013 Trail Lite 200S
2002 Coleman Bayside - Loved the room, hated the roof.
2013 Ford Expedition
1988 Coleman Chesapeak gave us 14 good years
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: