November 23, 2014, 11:40:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: POP-Up Gizmos Bunkends  (Read 17963 times)
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 07:35:41 AM »

I use 5'x7' space brand all weather blankets, $12/each, the same material as gizmo, gromets in each corner, I tie them to the under bunk bungee. Easy to sew on velcro. Mine fit my bunk end perfectly.

The ALL WEATHER BLANKET is a four ply laminate of clear polyethylene film, a precise vacuum deposition of pure aluminum, a special reinforcing fabric and a layer of colored polyethylene film. This new ASTROLAR reinforcing fabric provides up to 50% more tear and puncture resistance than our previous product. The special four layer construction techniques of the ALL WEATHER BLANKET and its unique physical properties help to make it a perfect accessory item for all outdoor activities.

jaroberts2356
Handle Cranker

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »

Refletix is great.  I bought mine last year and it probably makes a 10 to 15 degree difference inside the camper.

2015 Forest River Flagstaff 21 FBRS
2013 Ford F150
2014 - 2 nights camped
twojacks
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 04:28:42 AM »

The PUG's just go over the bunkends, you will not need anything else. The reflectix goes in between the screen and plastic window. If you use reflectix you will need to buy a roll of it (Lowes or Home Depot) and cut it to fit your windows.  You can either just measure your windows and cut accordingly or make a cardboard template to use to cut it. I have both, my Gizmo's and reflectix for my windows and swear by them. I enjoy fall camping, and last year the gizmo's and reflectix kept the inside of the pup toasty warm using minimum heat. I also put reflectix under my mattress's and it helps to insulate from cold coming up from underneath the bunkend.
With the gizmo's you switch sides depending on summer or winter, ie. reflective side of the gizmo's faces out in the summer to reflect sun and keep pup cooler and in winter reflective side faces in to reflect heat back into the pup. Both sides of reflectix is shiny so it does not matter.
Hope this helps!

Gary & Vickie ('60 & '61)
Taffy & Soccer - Travelin' Jacks
'99 Ford Ranger
2009 Palomino Yearling 4120
Tennesee   PopUp Blue Pickup White
Connie G
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »

Does anyone know if these covers will repel rain?  And how do they connect up under the hard roof.  Thanks
HokieHiVPI
Chocks-a-lot

Tampa, FL

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »

I bought the 'survival' blankets from Cabelas.  A lot cheaper, definitely darkens and keeps the bunkends much, much cooler.

I got mine in just before our trip this weekend. I put them on with the binder clips and they held tight with no problems. One thing is that for my bunks (Mesa), they don't quite reach the end, length-wise. Side to side they're perfect but there's a 5" gap that's not covered. I don't know how effective they are since this is our first summer in the pup, but everything I've read about them is great.

2002 Coleman Mesa
08 Ford Expy EL LTD
TooManyTents
Parking Heckler

Willamette Valley, Oregon

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »

Does anyone know if these covers will repel rain?  And how do they connect up under the hard roof.  Thanks
Yes, they are waterproof.
I just tuck mine under the edge of the roof about 4" and the tension of the bunk end tenting has always held them in place.  Other folks have used velcro attachments of one home-made design or another.

Dave Oregon - 1999 Coleman Cheyenne   2003.5 Coleman Utah  PopUp Grey  Pickup White ---->  2011 Ever-Lite 27RB TravTrl Long Green  Pickup White
ngatel
PUXaholic

Palm Springs, CA

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »

With the gizmo's you switch sides depending on summer or winter, ie. reflective side of the gizmo's faces out in the summer to reflect sun and keep pup cooler and in winter reflective side faces in to reflect heat back into the pup.

Big PUG fan here.

They reflect sunlight. However, I really doubt they do much good in the winter to reflect heat back into the PU. To keep heat in you need insulation, and PUGs are not insulation. I had decided to quit flipping them each year and when I discussed this with Bob at PUG, he agrees. Also the PUG website does not state they should be flipped.

On another note, I have been working with Bob on a Super High Wind Gizmo. I apporached Bob with some ideas and he designed them. The first prototype stayed secure in sustained 30+ mph for a 48 hour period. Gusts where even higher. The standard high wind PUG on the other bunk did not stay secure when the gusts hit.

I just got the 2nd prototype today, with some changes and will test it this weekend. Stay tuned for a review. I think you are going to like them!!

Official PUX Curmudgeon
Nick Gatel
Palm Springs
92 Starcraft Meteorite
2006 Niagara
2014 Eclipse Milan 26RLS

2000 Ford Explorer
2003 Expedition
2012 Ford Expedition

PopUpBackpacker
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 05:13:25 AM »

I don't understand why anyone would flip in the first place!
Flipping implies the reflective property is somehow better than the low E property (one in the same AFIK).
Using in the winter, prevents solar gain during the day.

Bob may not suggest flipping anymore (he did at one time), the usage pics sure imply flipping as well as the 'customer comment', flipping twice daily!

"We would use the cover with the reflective side out during the day and then reverse it at night."

CornPopper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 06:59:55 AM »

Yes, they are waterproof.
I just tuck mine under the edge of the roof about 4" and the tension of the bunk end tenting has always held them in place.  Other folks have used velcro attachments of one home-made design or another.

We use snaps to attatch to the inside of the roof.  PUGs always stay on.  We flip them over in the fall.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:06:39 AM by CornPopper » Logged

Me '63 Illinois
DW '66 Indiana
DD1 '96 Indiana
DD2 '99 Indiana
'03.5 Coleman/Fleetwood  Mesa  PopUp Green Pennsylvania(The "CornPopper")
'02 Odyssey  Van Yellow  Canada
'12 MDX  SUV Grey  Canada
Nights Camped in 2004: 10
Nights Camped in 2005: 32
Nights Camped in 2006: 28
Nights Camped in 2007: 27
Nights Camped in 2008: 22
Nights Camped in 2009: 25
Nights Camped in 2010: 22
Nights Camped in 2011: 18
Our Adventures Page
Our Mods Page
beach momma
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 07:26:24 AM »

Thanks to this forum we bought our PUG's before heading out on our first trip last summer. Being in way south Florida it is the only way to survive the heat for a good 6 months of the year. We just use bulldog clips I got from the hardware store to attach them.  No way can the A/C keep up with the heat on its own. PUX had them to us in less than a week. Big Smile

2 Brits, 2 Yanks and one camping cockatoo
Chatterbox9924
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »

PopUp Blue
Chatterbox9924
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »

I live in Michigan, so I guess I don't need these Gizmo things  Smiley I'm new to pop up's We have always had tents so I couldn't figure it out till I started noticing that everyone who had them were out west.  We don't have many problems with our pop-up's getting too hot LOL it was in the 60's this weekend. But it's good to for when we go out west to camp, we would have roasted alive.
Unstable Tripod
Back-er-in-er

Seattle, Washington

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »

Even though we're known for rain, we do get a few hot days up here in the glorious Pacific Northwest.  (Our recent week of record-breaking 100+ temperatures proves that.)  Also, a lot depends on the specific site.  On the same day in the same campground one site in shade can be quite comfortable while another down the road in full sun can be sweltering.  So, PUGs are of value here.

I used mine on a couple of warm days in southern BC recently.  But, the main reason I got them is for my trips to the desert Southwest.  The humidity is low there so if you can keep the sun off the top it's really not bad at all. 

On the flip side (literally) you can use them with the dark side up to gain solar radiation when it's cold.  They also help to hold warmth in the PUP when the furnace runs at night, especially if used in conjunction with Reflectix inserts in the windows.

1998 Explorer Sport and 2007 Fleetwood Yuma

sully
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »

I'm in Texas. They are a must (in my little experience).

Only 1 trip out & we had them. I added Velcro strips along the inside/under the top of the PUP - just above the "seal gasket thingy" (sorry for the technical terminology). Not sure how they would've stayed without it as the wind was blowing a sustained 15+ mph much of the time we were out.

The week before - preping the camper (learning the 'ins & outs') - the AC couldn't keep up with the sun. The PUGs made a difference.

I've already bought a roll of reflectix (on line only home depot & lowes?) and plan to cut those inserts over labor day - not sure how to do the stencil, but I'll figure it out.

Another thing I did (may keep doing) is leaving them on (velcroed at the top) and just fold them in with the tenting if the camper is only down for a week or so & all is dry when breaking camp; I had them attached at home & left them that way when we packed up to leave the next day.

2008 Explorer (V6 4.0)
2003 Coleman/Fleetwood Santa Fe
Missouri City (Houston), Texas
Marshal Dillon
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 02:57:17 AM »

I live in Michigan, so I guess I don't need these Gizmo things  Smiley

Personally I wouldn't be without Gizmo's no matter where I live.   The top of my bunkends still looks like new.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: