October 19, 2014, 08:23:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help can't get my pop up to go all the way down  (Read 3702 times)
snuggs1004
Kindlin' Collector

« on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »

Hello, I recently bought a 1995 Rockwood pop up camper and we can get it to crank all the way up, but when we try to crank it down, it squeaks really loud and stops about 2 inches from closing all the way. I am not sure about this so any information would be extremelly helpful. Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:27:02 AM by snuggs1004 » Logged
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »

The first thing I would try is greasing the lifters.  We had that same problem with our 1995 Palomino and greasing it took care of the problem immediately.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
E3-n-Austin
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »

Get on the roof and start jumping up and down.  Big Smile

I'm kidding of course!

Be grateful for what you have.
me-38, DW-39, DS-11, DD-5
2-Boxers, 2-Teacup Chihuahuas
snuggs1004
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »

We tried to grease the lifters but still would not go all the way down, what type of grease is the best for this?? We just used white lithium grease. Thanks
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »

White lithium is the correct grease.  Did you pump it into the zerks under the trailer?

snuggs1004
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »

No we have not tried that, thank you for the information, we will go get a grease gun and try it out. Thanks
oah
Chocks-a-lot

hither and yon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »

"Don't over crank. The roof can be fully retracted and be 1 to 2 inches above the side walls. Do not comtinue to turn the crank handle or damage to the lift system may occur."

It may be necessary to push down slightly on the roof corners to completely close roof and allow latches to close.

Coleman trailer web site to go went live November 17 19, 2008.
Coleman Trailer Web site
dsw3131
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:56 PM »

I'm new to PUPs and when I first saw one folded down, I was surprised that you don't crank them all the way down.  The crank stops and the roof is still sitting about 2 inches from closing all the way because it's sitting on bunched up canvas.  The guy showed me how you simply push down on the corners until they're within reach of their latches and then latch the roof down.  We had to lift it up slightly once to adjust some canvas on one corner before it would go down.  Unless you've already tried that, that may be what's happening.

2006 Ford E-350 12-passenger kid hauler
1999 Rockwood 2518G Premier
One beautiful wife
4 wonderful kids (2 boys, 2 girls)
1 mutt
3 cats
38 chickens, 5 roosters
1 Jersey milk cow
1 Jersey/Angus heifer
6000 sq. ft. garden
All on 7.5 acres of paradise

Nights Camped in 2009:  2
Last Camping Trip:  Dinosaur Valley State Park, Glen Rose TX (Feb '09)
Next Camping Trip:  Carlsbad Caverns Nat'l Park, NM (Jun '09)
PattieAM
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:32:16 AM »

I carry a sponge mop to help push in the canvas and keep it from bunching when lowering the roof.  Sometimes I have to allow 'settlement time' for the roof to lower properly when trying to latch it.  that's when I'm hooking up to tow or organizing the tow vehicle.

1997 Dodge 1500
2000 Dodge Durango
2006 Fleetwood Niagara
Nights Camped-2006:  51
Nights Camped-2007:  42
Nights Camped-2008:  28
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:34:04 AM »

Neatly folding the end tentage on top of the beds was critical for folding our Bayside.  In fact the owner's manual specifies closing the bed farthest from the door, entering the trailer, and arranging the tentage flat on the bed, then doint the same with the other bed.

We then closed half way, pushed the tentage inside; closed to about a foot off the body and repeated the tentage-stuffing.  Rarely had to push the roof down hard after that.

Leaving things on the beds like the sleeping bags worked fine for us, but does use up space.

-- Chuci

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:50:42 AM »

Good point, Chuck, about leaving stuff on the bunks.  With our first trailer, we could leave everything on except the comforters, which had to be removed every time or there was no way to get the roof closed.  With the current trailer, we can leave everything on the bunks without a problem.

We keep a plastic child's baseball bat in the front trunk for tucking in the canvas, and try not to ever push on the screening.  The bat works very well, especially for me because the trailer walls are high enough it's hard for me to reach very far.  With experience, we've learned the best way to tuck the canvas.

We always leave the roof to settle before trying to latch it.  We lower and tuck, then hitch up.  By the time we're hitched, the weight of the roof has squished the canvas nicely.

It's always harder to close the roof during cool weather.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: