July 30, 2014, 07:09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tekonsha Voyager brake control problem UPDATE  (Read 8863 times)
bud121156
Back-er-in-er

Western North Carolina

« on: October 23, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »

Tonight I towed my camper to a local campground to set up for the weekend. On the trip , I didn't have trailer brakes when using the tow vehicle brakes. I could manually activate the trailer brakes by using the slide activation control on the Tekonsha Voyager brake control. I could adjust the amount of force turning the round control knob just as I have always been able to do. Manual activation was normal as always, but I had NO trailer brakes when using the TV brakes.
I checked the lights, turn signals, etc, before hitting the road and all looked normal
What do you think is my problem??
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:08:49 AM by bud121156 » Logged

Donnie & Cheryl North Carolina North Carolina
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express Bunkhouse
2000 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4
GoneCamping
Sr. Moderator
PUXaholic

Chesapeake, Va.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »

Did you physically check the brake lights to make sure they are working. The controller feeds off the cold side of the brake light switch and if that ain't working your controller is not going to work.

*Cliff*

"The American Indian found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

The Other Campground

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Ford
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS  TravTrl Long Blue

Chesapeake, Va.  USA
bud121156
Back-er-in-er

Western North Carolina

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »

NO  I didn't  have someone go back behind  the camper  and check the brake lights.  If they are not working  on the return trip Sunday,  what should I check first ?

Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:32:32 AM »

If the turn signals work the brake lights work.  If the brake wire is broken there should be an error showing on the controller.  There is on Prodigy anyway, the known solution for most brake problems.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
bud121156
Back-er-in-er

Western North Carolina

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:04:56 AM »

I don't think this model has a display showing "error" or at least its  not visible where it is  mounted under the dash.
This  has  a green light that is visible when connected  and it turns an amber color when the brakes are applied....and a darker color  the  more boost its set on.
Strange about it is,  the slide on the top where you manually activate  the trailer brakes only,  works  fine....  just  no pedal activated trailer brakes.
The TV brakes stop the  camper  fine  though....still I want  to have trailer  brakes in an emergency.
This unit  was installed by  the dealer in  Spring 07.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:06:18 AM by bud121156 » Logged

Recumbentman
Back-er-in-er

Ventura, Ca

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »

Here is a link to the Voyager manual. http://www.marksrv.com/brake_control/voyager_manual.pdf
have you verified that the controller is mounted between the 70 degrees and -20 degrees as shown in the manual and also have you set the leveling lever correctly. I know that if the leveling lever is not set correctly the voyager will not operate correctly.

**Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ...what a ride! **

California** 11 Cherokee Wolf Pack 295  5th Wheel Long Blue Pickup White 03 Dodge Ram 2500**California 

My PU MODS Page
bud121156
Back-er-in-er

Western North Carolina

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »

The controller is mounted just as the dealer installed it. I have not moved it. I am leaning toward thinking a wire is loose  somewhere.
Someone mentioned in another forum that the red wire going to the brake pedal under the dash may be loose?
It been raining here all day.........take a look later.

gijoecam
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:02:09 AM »

It sounds to me like it lost the brake input from the tow vehicle.  Time to pull out a 12V test light or multimeter.

Just because the turn signals on the camper work doesn't mean that the brake lights on the TV work...

'03.5 Coleman Monterey  2004 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y, '00 Ford F-150 4x4

Gallery here

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:26:10 AM »

We started with a Tekonsha Voyager.  After having our trailer brakes lock TWICE in a snowstorm on a busy highway at 60 mph, then again in a campground after the controller performed flawlessly for 1,400 miles, we dumped it on advice from our mechanic, who suspected the brand-new controller was defective.  I don't think I'd buy another one. 

We hate to jump on the Prodigy bandwagon but that's what we replaced the Voyager with and we haven't been sorry.  It's really nice to have that display telling us if the trailer is properly connected, and see by the changing numbers on the read-out that the brakes are actually working when the van's brake pedal is depressed.

I realize the same company makes both controllers but our experience with the Voyager just left us too shaken to trust that model ever again.  So now we've become two of those obnoxious Prodigy converts. 

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
JD and Beastlet
Camp Host
PUXaholic

Ottawa, ON

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »

We hate to jump on the Prodigy bandwagon
When the band on the wagon is playing an excellent tune, there's no shame in singing along!  Wink

2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400, stopped by Prodigy, guided by Garmin nüvi 1490 LMT, reflected by McKesh.
Origami Camper
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »

If the level knob (NOT the power dial, the other knob on the other side) is set to maximum delayed setting the trailer brakes will act exactly like you have described.  They will work with the manual slide button, but when you step on the brakes they hardly do anything.

Power knob sets the maximum power that will ever be applied to the brakes.

Level knob basically sets how hard the TV has to be stopping in order to get the trailer brakes to engage. A full delayed setting will probably mean that the trailer brakes will never get engaged or only very slightly even in a hard stopping condition, and a full aggressive setting will mean full power will be applied to the trailer brakes even if you touch the TV brakes slightly.  When you use the manual slide it applies power regardless of the level setting.

Make sure the level knob is set correctly. You could try the other extreme (full aggressive) just to see if this corrects the problem.  Then adjust it accordingly.

Cheers,
Mike

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:08:21 PM by AMZEUS » Logged

Canada    PopUp Grey SUV Black
Me, DW, and the dogs
Coleman Santa Fe a.k.a "The Origami Cabin"
GoneCamping
Sr. Moderator
PUXaholic

Chesapeake, Va.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »

If the turn signals work the brake lights work.

Not if the brake light switch is broken (or brake light fuse is burnt)!! If there is no power coming from the brake light switch, the controller will do nothing, regardless of whether the turn signals are funtioning or not...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:35:04 PM by GoneCamping » Logged

*Cliff*

"The American Indian found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

The Other Campground

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Ford
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS  TravTrl Long Blue

Chesapeake, Va.  USA
bud121156
Back-er-in-er

Western North Carolina

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »

Update

As AMZEUS  mentioned above,problem was the level dial.Grandkids must have turned it .
Brakes work fine now!

rjspres
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

I have had this controller for several years without problem. I haven't pulled anything using the brakes for a while and didn't pay any attention to the light on the unit to see if it was working.  I hooked up a boat trailer yesterday with electric brakes and when I pulled out I attempted to adjust brake control and noted the light didn't work.  I tried to manually apply brakes on trailer and that didn't work either.  I have checked all fuses on my Ford F-250 and they are all good.  All lights on the truck work and when I had the trailer hooked up, the brake, turn and tail lights all worked.  There are 4 wires out of controller.  The light for illumination is never hot, the traffic brake control feed is always hot, the trailer electric feed wire is cold but get hot as you activate brake control manually and the stop light feed to brake control is always cold, even when activating brake manually. 
Could it be this controller has gone bad and needs to be replaced, or any other suggestions.
Thanks
rjspres
Coyote
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »

New Mexico  PopUp Green [pu-k]You may need to reset the controller.  I have the model. The knob on the right of the controller adjust the power.  While level and not moving turn the knob the whole way clockwise.  Now press and hold your break pedal.  Turn the know counter clock wise until the light turns green.  The knob on the left side of the controller sends the power to the breaks.  Turn the knob all the way clockwise.  Drive at 20mph and press the brakes and adjust the knpb counter clockwise until the TV nad trailer stop evenly.  est of luck.

Running with the wolves.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: