September 02, 2014, 03:32:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rockwood Lift system issues  (Read 8861 times)
krottman
Kindlin' Collector

« on: August 28, 2008, 07:35:18 AM »

I recently purchased a 91-92 Rockwood pop up and on the second time putting it down it was almost down (14in up) when I heard a pop,most likely from the rear. My husband  and I tried putting it back up but only the front would lift. We proped the back end up and secured it enough to gain access to the inside. Thinking it might be the shaft or the chain mechanism we opened up the back and drivers side interior. The chain and the shaft both seem to be in perfect working order and from what we can tell there are no gear teeth missing either. Now my question is why is it not going, or staying up? I have been all over the web trying to find an answer and have found nothing. Can someone please help? I am all out of ideas.

PatVec45
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »

HiI had the same problem... contact Stephanie Little at slittle@forestriverinc.com  Explain what the problem is and she will helpyou.She was very helpful,, sent diagramsetc and I ordered parts through her.Forest River is the name of the company that handles Rockwood and Flagstaff,, which is what I have...Ours was the spring and lifter in the off door rear... we had to take apart the inside of the camper to get at it but the parts were not expensive compared to what it would have cost at the RV dealer. My neighbor did all the work in his spare time and it was time consuming.Good luck

Sunjunkiefla
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »

Sorry to read about your problems. I had a 988 Rockwood that had lifter problems in the rear part of the system. Rockwood uses 2 chain drive mechinisms connected by a long driveshaft that runs along the left side of the camper. My failed because the right side floor and roof rotted out causing the rear drive unit to bind. I disconnected the drive shaft to the rear allowing me to lower the roof back to the travel position.  After making several calls, I found a Coleman dealer that had a mechanic who could fix that system.  If you need a picture of the lifter mechanism that Rockwood used up until about 94, send me an email and I will email you the JPG picture.Rick 58DW 6DD 98DD 932003 Coleman Tacoma, Hula Girl200 GMC Safari van

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
Ambrose Pierce
Wicamper77
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »

Hi, I just fixed my lift system on my 1994 Rockwood. If you have the Goshen system (underneath your camper -looks like four tubes going to each of the corners of the your Pup) the problem is most likely one of your pusher plates on the main lift cable bent or broke. Mine would only lift on one side. The pusher plate was missing for some reason. I ordered a new cable from Goshen Stamping and they sent it with instructions. It was fairly easy. Took about 2 hours. It wasn't overly complicated. Cost me about $30 for the cable.

If its and L&W lift system I have no idea.

Mark F.
DW- (Heather)
DD- '04
Doggie-Winnie the Black Lab
Wisconsin
 PopUp Green 1994 Rockwood Freedom 1940
 PopUp Green 1986 Rockwood 1280
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: