April 24, 2014, 03:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pop up camper won't crank up.  (Read 6862 times)
raiderdad03
Kindlin' Collector

« on: August 04, 2008, 11:04:23 PM »

I'm looking at buying a 1985 Coleman Sequoia pop-up but the seller tells me that it won't crank up.He said awhile back he was cranking it up and went alittle to far with it and heard a pop or ping,now it only goes up a few inches.Is it worth trying to get it fixed? Does anyone have any idea of how much it will cost to get fixed.I look forward to hearing back from anyone with some ideas or advice.

pianojuggler
Back-er-in-er

Pacific Northwet

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:45:40 AM »

Go here.  The second to the last link on the page is for the Coleman Lift Systems repair manual.Does it go up a few inches and the crank stops turning, or does it go up a few inches and the crank turns but nothing happens?There are several possibilities of what may be wrong... whiffletree shaft broken or jammed, pulleys out of whack, something broken stuck in the whiffletree housing...One suggestion:  If you intent to take off the whiffletree cover, crank it up as much as you can, which will hopefully be higher than the bunkends.  Pull the bunkends out a couple inches, then lower the roof until it is resting on the bunkends, then turn the crank a few more turns to slacken all of the cables.  Otherwise you will never get the cover off with tension on the cables.  You'll need a 7/16" open end wrench (I found it helpful to grind down one side a bit) and a 7/16" socket wrench with a couple different length extensions and maybe a "wobbly".It may also be helpful to get the tongue onto the ground.  I put a scissor jack under the coupler, jacked the tongue up with the scissor, retracted the tongue jack, then lowered the tongue all the way down.  This made it a heck of a lot easier to work under the aft end of the PUP.  ***BUT***  You do not want to crank the roof up and down more than a couple inches like this... you would be putting a lot of strain on the liftarms by being so far off level.1995 E32 Waggin[popgreen] 1992 Coleman Roanoke

SUV Blue 2000 ML430  PopUp Green 1995 Coleman Utah
raiderdad03
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »

Thanks for the response pianojuggler,to answer your question-after it goes up a few inches the crank seems to get alot of tension on it.I'm not that mech.inclined but I might look into that whiffletree cover.Thanks again for the help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: