November 27, 2014, 11:22:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jayco Lift system adjustment  (Read 12476 times)
Ramairr1
Kindlin' Collector

« on: July 23, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »

Hi all,

I have a 1994 Jayco Cardinal popup. I have completly redone the lift system.

My question is a what hieght should I support the top at when I begin to adsjust the four eye bolts?

I do ahve the detailed drawings from MGWERKS's signature. I don't know if this camper is a high or low wall model. I can only guess it's a high wall. I want to get it right after spending so much time on the lift system already.

Thanks

Vince

knobbyhead
Back-er-in-er

The Sea Shore NJ

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

Welcome Vince,  I own a Jayco 17 and have recently adjusted my lift system.  My pop up is now open so I can check it tonight.  However, it needs to be high enough to allow the door  to drop down and be inserted between the door and the roof.  In reality I have to lift my roof .5 inches to get my door in the correct position.  So, if you measuse the size of your door, it will tell you how high your roof has to be lifted.  The prior owner put a line on the lift pole next to the crank so I always know when to stop.  Bob DW - Trish 2 cats Stewart and Freddy  1995 Jayco J1625 Ford Explorer XLT1993 Volvo 245 (SICK)looking for a volvo 142 anybody?

Bob

DW - Trish
1995 Jayco J1006
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Volvo 240

qwkcoupe
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »

Vince, I too have a Cardinal.  Like Bob said, the roof height is pretty much dictated by what ever the door needs.  Mine has a limit cable on the lift rod/pole by the crank.Question, my door is really tight and tough to push out into the installed popped up position. Should I re-attach my limit cable so I can get an extra fraction of inch of lift so my door will install easier?  Is it even possible to crank the roof higher than the limit cable allows?Also, I notice the realitive position of the roof is dependent on the door hinge screws that screw the door hinge to the roof frame.  Could my roof height be right, but my door hinge screws not be set correctly from the factory?It looks like we have to adjust a) the roof lift height, and b) the door hinge to roof mount height.  Are there any specs on those two variables?Thanks and please pardon the slight thread hijack :-)Brian76 DW77 DD2 DS4 TBD8!!.   USA [st-TX]8 nights-3.  7 nights-6.92 Jayco Cardinal 6 SD  PopUp Green SUV White 4 Toyota Sequoia

Brian 76, DW 77 DD 02 DS 04 DD 08   USA Texas
09 nights-7.  08 nights-7.  07 nights-6.
Sold off the sweet PUP 92 Jayco Cardinal 6 SD  PopUp Green SUV White 04 Toyota Sequoia
mgwerks
Parking Heckler

Texas Hill Country - the BBQ and Tex-Mex nexus

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:25:07 AM »

The real answer is that it doesn't matter how high your roof is lifted when adjusting the cables, as long as it is well supported.  You aren't adjusting them for roof height, only for equality of that height.  I raised mine to a height that put the adjusting eyebolts in the most convenient position for me to work on them (side-to-side in the camper).If the top is properly adjusted, you shouldn't have to force it up anywhere near 1/2" to install the door.  It should just pop into place if the top is the correct height.Here's what to do:1. Raise the roof to an appropriate height for working on the eyebolts.2. Adjust the eyebolts to level the roof. Crank it all the way down and then up to make sure that it remains level.  Anything less than 1/4" difference between highest and lowest measurements is okay.3. Disconnect the "limit cable" from the roof.  Now that your roof is level, raise it up until the canvas looks flat - *not* stretched tight like a drum, just not saggy or wrinkly.  Set up the bunks fully to test the canvas look and feel.  You want it to have a little give left for wind stress, bunk movement, etc.  4. Check the fit of the door.  If you can install it with a little 'pop' when you snap the top hinge flat, that's fine.  If you have to push hard enough to noticeably raise the door, that's not fine.  Assuming that the canvas is fitting the way you want it to at this point, you can adjust the hinge plate at the top of the door so that it fits correctly.  Remember, the door should not be carrying the roof weight, the lift posts should be.5.  Take it all apart, pop it down, and run it up one more time.  Make certain all fits the way it did after your adjustments.  NOW with the top up, you can reinstall the "limit cable" so that it is taut but not tight like a guitar string.Note: the "limit cable" is added to the popup as an indicator for those who don't know how the system works.  it is *NOT* truly a limit cable, as it doesn't limit anything.  You can easily crank right past it and break something.  There is no substitute for paying attention when pupping, and let the feel of the crank and look of the canvas tell you when your roof is up all the way.HTH
Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-35 PowerStrokeJayco/Viking lift documentsJayco Lift System diagram set and L&W Lift System diagram set Click here for lochsa's great Jayco/L&W lift system pictures!

"It does not take many words to speak the truth."
-- Inmuttooyahlatlat

Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas
'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-350 PowerStroke

Homeless at the 2010 Mid-Con "Camperless Rally!"
We avoided the 2009 Mid-Con "Brian-Bash Rally!"
We survived the 2008 Mid-Con "Humidity Massacre!"
Ramairr1
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »

Thanks mgwerks, that was  the answer I was looking for.Vince

qwkcoupe
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by mgwerks
2. Adjust the eyebolts to level the roof. Crank it all the way down and then up to make sure that it remains level. Anything less than 1/4" difference between highest and lowest measurements is okay.
MG,Sweet post!  Just one question, by level, do you mean parallel to the: a) frame or b) the top of box rail?p.s How in the world do we find posts we once posted to?Brian76 DW77 DD2 DS4 TBD8!!.   USA [st-TX]8 nights-3.  7 nights-6.92 Jayco Cardinal 6 SD  PopUp Green SUV White 4 Toyota Sequoia

Brian 76, DW 77 DD 02 DS 04 DD 08   USA Texas
09 nights-7.  08 nights-7.  07 nights-6.
Sold off the sweet PUP 92 Jayco Cardinal 6 SD  PopUp Green SUV White 04 Toyota Sequoia
mgwerks
Parking Heckler

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

It depends on whether you have early or late style lift posts - they have either 3 or 4 sections (one section is in the pup wall). You measure from the bottom edge of the roof to the flat top edge of the body (where the roof seal seats).To find your posts, you can try using the search feature and search for your screen name.
Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-35 PowerStrokeI survived the 28 Mid-Con Massacree!Jayco/Viking lift documentsJayco Lift System diagram set and L&W Lift System diagram set Click here for lochsa's great Jayco/L&W lift system pictures!

"It does not take many words to speak the truth."
-- Inmuttooyahlatlat

JONATHAN
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:06:55 AM »

HEY HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THE L&W MAIN CABLE LIFT SYSTEM BECAUSE ONE OF MY CABLE WIRE BROKE FROM WHERE YOU TURN THE PULLEY AND ALSO THE VERY THICK WIRE BROKE AS WELL DO YOU THINK MY LOCALLY RV PLACE CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM
mgwerks
Parking Heckler

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »

Your questions have been addressed in the other thread you started, this is a cross-post and is discouraged.  Also, it's considered yelling if you type in all caps.

Your issue is simple to fix - refer to the other thread.

woodie1976
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »

WOW after reading this post... i went outside and cranked our camper up... 11" front left corner... right rear corner... 14 almost 15" .. now i understand why nothing is working right... sheesh and to think a "shop" fixed our lift system
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: