July 25, 2014, 12:57:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 93 Jayco Eagle 10 another lift system issue  (Read 10272 times)
supermgl
Kindlin' Collector

« on: May 16, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »

Hello,

I am so happy I found this site!  I think I have an idea of what I need to do to fix my problem but I would like to share some photo and run my thoughts by some of the experts here!  

I bought this popup tonight, he told me it didn't raise as something was wrong with the lift system.  It's pretty clean and in good shape for the most part, except the lift system.  I offered him $500 and he took it...quickly I might add...  Anyway, brought it home and climbed in opened the cabinet and removed the access panel so I could see the winch.  Below is what I found:

So I'm thinking I need 4 eye hooks, and possibly 4 new cables.  Can I run to Home Depot (or other hardware store) and get the hooks and cable?  The two ends of cables that you see attached to the block are broken less than a foot away.  The other two cables I could not see...I hope they are in tact!  I may also need a new main cable as this one looks pretty beat up, but I will decide that when I have better access.  

Another possible problem I noticed is that the square hole the crank handle goes into spins freely on the screw it is attached to.  It does tighten up but I cannot seem to get the winch to move...the cable could be jamming it I suppose.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  

Here is a picture I took of the "channel" the cables run down.  I do not know what the deal with all the white paper is, feels like TP and I wonder if it is the cause of this major breakage.

A closer view of the winch.

ugly huh!?

A view of floor right in front of the winch.

I'll try to take photo's as I get things done and post them, maybe they'll help someone else at some point.  I know I have found quite a bit of info on this site!  Would not have gotten this far without it.  :)

THG
Chocks-a-lot

San Jose CA

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:47:13 PM »

You can get the eyehooks at HD, Lowes, Orchard Supply... not sure about the cables. But to be safe, I'd replace everything - main cable and lifter cables. You could get them from Jayco if you don't want to run around and fab your own. At least the winch pulley and mount looks OK.But what is scary is that is the exact same linoleum my ex chose for our kitchen. I've been thinking of remodeling the kitchen, now I have to give it some serious thought. [:D]Chevy Colorado Crewcab 4x4Jayco Baja 1YYamaha Grizzly 7FIKawasaki ZG14 ConcoursI'm like the Roaming Gnome - you never know when I'll turn up on your lawn

Jim aka "TheHomelessGuy"
Chevy Colorado Crewcab 4x4
Jayco Baja 10Y
I'm like the Roaming Gnome - you never know when I'll turn up on your lawn
Kampin Kurt
Chocks-a-lot

League City, Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »

Dude, I think you're going to like this deal! From the way you're talking, I think you can handle the repair without a problem. I bought a '95 Jayco Eagle 1 ST with a kaput lift system, installed new cables, and now have a superb pup purchased for a song. I hope all your canvas, A/C, upholstry, etc., is in as great a shape as mine... and somehow I'm guessing it is. The lift system gets broken and the rest of the camper becomes an unused time capsule. Anyway, here's whatcha do:Cut boards to proper (propper?) length to prop up top (heh), enlist helper, set up camper using old fashioned "Armstrong" lift system (strong arms work wonders!). Hook up AC power to power A/C. Clear out all the loose stuff, and remove as many cabinets, doors, covers, etc., as can easily be done. Get a shop vac in there and clean 'er up good. Study lift system and begin repairing and replacing parts and pieces as required. Put it all back together. Enjoy!Seriously, it's practically that easy. An ounce of getting a good look at what's going on in there is worth ten tons of reading. I got cables and swages and eye bolts from the hardware store, the only problem item was a proper swaging tool. They're hideously expensive, and impossible to find even at a price you can't afford. I finally located a loaner at a sailboat parts house, but you don't HAVE to have one. There are plenty of ways to lock a swage down on a cable.This is kind of an overview, feel free to ask any and all questions you may have. I also have pics of my system, let me know if you need 'em and I'll put 'em on Photobucket or some such. After studying those pictures of your little mess, I'd go ahead and re-string the cables. The winch and lift mechanisms are probably okay with a clean and lube. Cash outlay from here ought not exceed thirty bucks or so.Cheers, Kurt Texas USA'95 Jayco Eagle 1 ST

Cheers, Kurt Texas USA

'95 Jayco Eagle 10 ST
supermgl
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:24:56 AM »

Well I ran into some bad news.  After opening it up I found the front wall under the bed is almost entirely rotted out.  The canvas is in ok shape but will need to be patched in numerous places and the peices that go under the bed to hold the canvas in place will need to be replaced.  We also had a couple drawer fronts just pull off the rest of the drawer.  If it weren't for the rotted front wall I think I could deal with the rest, but the wall is in awful shape and is very flimsy.  I can literally reach my hand in and pull rotted chunks of wood out.  I've tried to contact the guy I bought it from, but he's avoiding me.  Live and learn I guess.  We have another option that may work out.  We have a 91 Jayco Jay series 16 and everything is in pretty good shape...but it has no canvas or support poles.  It was destined to become a utility trailer but the guy that had it sold it to us for $15 because he couldn't tear it apart after seeing what kind of shape it was in.  We are going to try and move/adapt the canvas from the Eagle to the Jay.  We already tried the support poles and they fit perfect.  After taking some measurements the Jay might be an inch smaller here or there, but it is very close to the same dimensions.  We're kinda waiting to do anything yet to see if we can return this hunk of junk, though I doubt that'll happen I figured it was worth trying.  At least we got a canvas out of the deal, and we could use a utility trailer.

rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:58:55 AM »

Why do folks want to crank with out unlatching the latches:).see Miscellaneous Manuals (bottom of page) for Jayco and L&W reference material

mgwerks
Parking Heckler

Texas Hill Country - the BBQ and Tex-Mex nexus

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »

or just get them from my sig...
Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-35 PowerStrokeJayco/Viking lift documentsJayco Lift System diagram set and L&W Lift System diagram set Click here for lochsa's great Jayco/L&W lift system pictures!

"It does not take many words to speak the truth."
-- Inmuttooyahlatlat

Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas
'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-350 PowerStroke

Homeless at the 2010 Mid-Con "Camperless Rally!"
We avoided the 2009 Mid-Con "Brian-Bash Rally!"
We survived the 2008 Mid-Con "Humidity Massacre!"
supermgl
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:07:33 AM »

Thank you, I have seen those manuals.  They are what allowed me to figure out what the problem was in the first place! Very helpful.  Since this popup will probably become a utility trailer in the near future I'm not putting any effort into fixing the lift system.  Just to many problems with the trailer, we'll probably cannibalize this one to get the other one working.  The other one has a good lift system that seems to work just fine.  I'll probably pull the access panels and check it out though.  :)If anyone is looking for parts from a 93 Jayco Eagle I might be able to help!  All I want is the frame, canvas, and some other misc. stuff.  Most of the major systems will be scrapped or ebayed when we start the tear down process to help get some of our money back.  PM me or leave a message here.

tamiv
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

My pop up lift system is stuck in the UP position!!!   We're stuck in a friends back yard!!  Can't get it down to take it to get it fixed!!  Any suggestions??
quote:
Originally posted by Kampin Kurt
Dude, I think you're going to like this deal! From the way you're talking, I think you can handle the repair without a problem. I bought a '95 Jayco Eagle 1 ST with a kaput lift system, installed new cables, and now have a superb pup purchased for a song. I hope all your canvas, A/C, upholstry, etc., is in as great a shape as mine... and somehow I'm guessing it is. The lift system gets broken and the rest of the camper becomes an unused time capsule. Anyway, here's whatcha do:Cut boards to proper (propper?) length to prop up top (heh), enlist helper, set up camper using old fashioned "Armstrong" lift system (strong arms work wonders!). Hook up AC power to power A/C. Clear out all the loose stuff, and remove as many cabinets, doors, covers, etc., as can easily be done. Get a shop vac in there and clean 'er up good. Study lift system and begin repairing and replacing parts and pieces as required. Put it all back together. Enjoy!Seriously, it's practically that easy. An ounce of getting a good look at what's going on in there is worth ten tons of reading. I got cables and swages and eye bolts from the hardware store, the only problem item was a proper swaging tool. They're hideously expensive, and impossible to find even at a price you can't afford. I finally located a loaner at a sailboat parts house, but you don't HAVE to have one. There are plenty of ways to lock a swage down on a cable.This is kind of an overview, feel free to ask any and all questions you may have. I also have pics of my system, let me know if you need 'em and I'll put 'em on Photobucket or some such. After studying those pictures of your little mess, I'd go ahead and re-string the cables. The winch and lift mechanisms are probably okay with a clean and lube. Cash outlay from here ought not exceed thirty bucks or so.Cheers, Kurt Texas USA'95 Jayco Eagle 1 ST

mgwerks
Parking Heckler

Texas Hill Country - the BBQ and Tex-Mex nexus

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »

WHat happens when you try to crank it down?  What make and model?
Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-35 PowerStrokeI survived the 28 Mid-Con Massacree!Jayco/Viking lift documentsJayco Lift System diagram set and L&W Lift System diagram set Click here for lochsa's great Jayco/L&W lift system pictures!

"It does not take many words to speak the truth."
-- Inmuttooyahlatlat

Texas . Mark '78 N5HII Cool and Shy Kathy DW/XYL . Texas
'98 Jayco Eagle 12SO  PopUp Grey Pickup White F-350 PowerStroke

Homeless at the 2010 Mid-Con "Camperless Rally!"
We avoided the 2009 Mid-Con "Brian-Bash Rally!"
We survived the 2008 Mid-Con "Humidity Massacre!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: