July 31, 2014, 09:44:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing roof cracks in a coleman abs roof.  (Read 81715 times)
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »

And when you guys say dremel the opening bigger, do you mean make it wider in order to get the epoxy underneath to adhere?  I have no choice but to do this repair myself.  Pretty good with glue, caulk, epoxy and stuff like that.  My father in law is a machinist and will be fabricating some metail repair pieces for me as well.  So, any suggestions?

Epoxy won't stick. The ABS MEK slurry needs a nice clean surface to mix in with. If you just smear it over the cracks, it won't fix the crack, so you have to open them up wider to give the mix something to stick to. I make mine 1/16" wide all the way through, and then I make a trough at the top, to make more surface area, and then fill them.

If it's outside and it's got cracks I think it's pretty safe to say that it's going to delaminate -- it's just a question of time. Mine took a few years.

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
carraway801
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »

I checked and there is some delaminating but not too bad.  So do I need to stick that down before I patch the crack?  Would I use the ABS MBK for that as well or something else?
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »

Gorilla Glue seems to work to reattach ABS to the foam core.

carraway801
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »

Ok, so say I use Gorilla Glue to adhear the ABS to the foam board, will there be any kind of chemical reaction between the MEK and Gorilla GLue.  Secondly, I went to Lowe's and could not find any kind of MEK.  ONly thing I could find was Loctite Epoxy for plastic and ABS was on the list.
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »

you will find MEK in the chemicals(it's a solvent) area, usually near the paint thinner or Spray paints. MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It will be near the cans of Acetone. If you ask for that, then the Lowes' person can direct to you it.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
carraway801
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »

Thanks.  Now I got a better idea of where to look.  I just spoke with the service manager of where the camper was originally purchased.  His recommendation was to fiberglass on top of the ABS shell as thin as possible.  I really just want to seal the cracks right now, worry about the asthetics of it a little later.
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »

Well, at least you have an idea where not to take your camper for repair. Fiberglass will not stick to ABS for long. Probably until the first bump your camper hits when being towed.

The quickest way to seal cracks would be to use an epoxy rated for ABS use. I would recommend using Plastic Welder, it is the retail version of what Fleetwood uses to attach the awning rail. Plastic Fusion epoxy has almost the same holding strength as Plastic Welder. Around here Walmart carries Plastic Welder, HD and Lowes seems to have stopped carrying it.

Bill

2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
carraway801
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

Yea I thought it sounded kind of funny when he told me that.  I have been able to find a Loctite epoxy for plastic and ABS is listed as safe for use.  Was thinking about doing that on the smaller cracks.  But I have one big one that runs from just under my A/C to the little gutter on the side next to where the reinforcement is.  Would the epoxy work for that as well or do I need to go another method with the MEK ABS goo?
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »

I would put a patch over a crack that big, luckily that area is flat. Easy to epoxy a patch on.

I have pictures on my roof repair here:

Roof Repair

Bill

carraway801
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »

I plan on doing the MEK goo on the small cracks, and using ABS epoxy to glue down the section on the camper with the big crack then filling the crac with the MEK goo.  I like what you did around the awning strip.  Where did you get that Grizzly grip stuff?  Did it add too much weight to the roof?  How did you apply the MEK goo, stick, roller, brush?
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »

Ok, so say I use Gorilla Glue to adhear the ABS to the foam board, will there be any kind of chemical reaction between the MEK and Gorilla GLue. 

All I can say is it worked great for my roof so far. It doesn't seem to melt or otherwise harm the foam as far as I am able to tell. The foam part seems to be an expanded polyurthane foam, which is what Gorilla glue is. It hasn't been through a summer yet.

One advantage of the Gorilla glue is it cures in the presence of moisture -- if your roof has a crack and its ever been outside in the rain, then it's going to be almost impossible to get it dry. I think the moisture will potentially cause problems with epoxy.

carraway801
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:21 AM »

OK, yea I will keep that in mind with the Gorilla Glue.  So what is the best way to apply the MEK goo?  Where are some places I can get ABS?  That seems to be my problem now.  All I can find locally at the supplys houses is PVC and blavk ABS.
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »

If you mean sheet ABS, then you to find a plastic distributor in your area. Look in the yellow pages.

if you want ABS chips go here:

http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/

Repairing ABS roofs info is here:

http://www.apachepopups.net/SMF/

Bill

gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »

So, my question--is there anything I can do to prevent this from becoming worse?  

The problem we face is that the ABS grows brittle with age. Maybe not all ABS, but the ABS on these Fleetwood trailers definitely does. I know that from the various parts that I've removed, like the AC shroud and the front trunk.

It's probably UV light that does it, so keeping it out the sun might help.

Mine started out with just a few little cracks and it took about 4 years for it to get really bad.

the zumms
Handle Cranker

Highland, IN

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:17 AM »

If I don't have any cracks yet, should I use the Grizzly Grip you used mstrbill for a little piece of mind and protection?  We have a 97 new to us Coleman and it's in our garage....every time I go past it, I'm looking for cracks (I'm a nut!).  I've read so much about them on here, that I'm even just starting to look for ways to prevent it.  You're thoughts?
THANKS!

Christie - The Mom '76
Dave - The Dad '75
Cameran - The Princess '04
Dylan - The Crazy Boy '05

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
1986 Starcraft Pop-up - Sold
1997 Coleman Bayside
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: